Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so is my exhaust too loud? =)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is basically running open exhaust and I've had several guys get next to me, rev it up and take off on their bikes. Does the noise bother me...not really but if the cars are held to a certain level than bikes should be too.

On that note, does anyone know the Noise Laws for Texas (whats the Db limit for cars)?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
To the other guy: why do motorcycles have different requirements? Whly should they be allowed to make so much more noise than cars?
Possibly because there are so few bikes and so many cars.

Even though it may be state laws for noise, Im sure the feds had more than a little to do with the laws (ie you should have a 120db limit or no federal road money for you), but the feds didnt mention bikes, so the states didnt have to set a limit for bikes.

Just a thought.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mojave
Possibly because there are so few bikes and so many cars.
Even though that alone does NOT justify it....how many modified sports cars like those of LS1tech members are there?
Old 07-21-2005, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, i think they should crack down on **** like broken turn signals, and people turning into the far lane and **** before they start pulling people for loud exhaust. atleast go after the **** that is dangeruous to other drivers first!
Old 07-21-2005, 02:00 AM
11 Second Club

i run long tubes with a bullet on each end in my daily driver. it isn't that bad.no tickets or even been pulled over for it. *knock on wood*
Old 07-21-2005, 03:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Even though that alone does NOT justify it....how many modified sports cars like those of LS1tech members are there?

It's a safety issue with bikes. A loud bike is less likely to get creamed on the road than a silent bike. Remember when you were a kid, and your mom made you put a card in you spokes? Same thing.

The Japanese are installing noise makers on the new fuel cell bike they developed, simply because it's too dangerous dead silent.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bill's 02 Z-28 SS
Hi folks
I hope you know how to use hand signs because at that levels you are going to need them. It may sound good but it isn't healthy for you or your passengers. I am surprised you only have one ticket - that is a big magnet for the police. I would think about some other system.
Just my 2 cents
Bill

how old are you? don't be so boring.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

The safety issue of having to hear a bike kind of makes sense, but:

Many of them are silent enough while cruising
They could be 1/3 the volume they are now and everybody would still hear them. They don't need to be deadening. I mean seriously, some of those harely's are LOUD! (i want one )
Old 07-21-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stangkiller
how old are you? don't be so boring.
Hi Stangkiller
I am old enough to know that once you lose your hearing, it isn't coming back - at times, I had to work near fighter jets, etc - you will do damage to your hearing once you pass 120dB. If you don't care - that is OK with me but when you are in your thirties or forties and need a hearing aid, don’t say you haven't been warned. I have also gotten involved with audio system with high outputs and know what high dBs can do to your hearing. If that is boring, so be it. Also why add a red flag to a car that the cops watch anyway - everytime I pass one, they give me the eyeball, so why give them a reason to look closer.
Thanks
Boring Bill

PS: I am also old enough to know that if you shoot yourself in the foot, it is going to hurt so why do it (never did it but smart enough to know). Unless you're
Old 07-21-2005, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

You won't have that dB level inside the car.

I've been running dumped duals for two years, with a high stall converter for one and cammed for about six months and the cops aren't a problem. If you don't drive like a moron they pretty much leave you alone. And by that I mean that I still regularly go above 4k rpm and even WOT on the street not far from lots of traffic, but I am not a moron about it and they pretty much don't care.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hi Stangkiller
I am old enough to know that once you lose your hearing, it isn't coming back - at times, I had to work near fighter jets, etc - you will do damage to your hearing once you pass 120dB. If you don't care - that is OK with me but when you are in your thirties or forties and need a hearing aid, don’t say you haven't been warned. I have also gotten involved with audio system with high outputs and know what high dBs can do to your hearing. If that is boring, so be it. Also why add a red flag to a car that the cops watch anyway - everytime I pass one, they give me the eyeball, so why give them a reason to look closer.
Thanks
Boring Bill

PS: I am also old enough to know that if you shoot yourself in the foot, it is going to hurt so why do it (never did it but smart enough to know). Unless you're

the average decibels for a tarmac(airport runway) is about 100 decibels. people who work in these conditions or worse steel plants for around 10 years or more(career) tend to loose a good bit of hearing. on the positvie side of things i dont think being inside the car is as bad as being outside of the car when doing it with some duals
Old 07-21-2005, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

I work on F-16s in the Air Force. We get so much trainning on safety issues it will make your head spinn. Not to be a nerd, but brief exposure to 120db as well as prolonged exposure to 85db and above can cause hearing loss. It won't happen in one day, but over time (daily driver) it will.

That being said I love the way my car sounds Corsa cat back, ORY and Flowtech LTs! The Corsa does a great job eliminating that exhaust drone in the car.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Hi Stangkiller
Thanks
Boring Bill

hi "boring bill"

unless you have a top fuel drag car with open headers or a fighter jet there is little to worry about. as long as its just the eyeball and not a ticket; so what. i seriously doubt riding in my car is gonna give me hearing damage.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hi "boring bill"

unless you have a top fuel drag car with open headers or a fighter jet there is little to worry about. as long as its just the eyeball and not a ticket; so what. i seriously doubt riding in my car is gonna give me hearing damage.
Hi Stangkiller
If a car is putting out 140+ dB at the side of the car and with a open window you are definitely will heard it – you will have some hearing damage after some undefined time which may not be long. One of the noisiness plane, the Harrier jet is definitely do damage in reasonable time and they are very noisy. So commercial jet don’t come close to military planes – so that isn’t a good place to go.

120dB is 120dB regardless of what the source is. The power level doubles every 3dB, so I think you might be able to figure out the power at 140dB.

You should find this interesting -
RACEWAY PARK NOISE TEST
The decibel (dB) level will be measured in the following way: he car will be 100 feet away from the meter (the meter is a $40 Radio Shack analog type). The driver will bring the RPM up to 3500 and hold it for 5 seconds and then "gun" the motor two times. The test will be done 2 times. This will give Raceway Park a representative DB reading on your car. It should not measure over 90 DB If your car is over 90 DB at the tech inspection booth, you will not be able to race. Also, if the management of Raceway Park feels your car is too loud and measures the DB level on the track it cannot be over 96 DB under load (launch or burnout). If you go over the 96 DB limit on the track, which is done 100 ft to the side of the car, you will not be allowed to race. There will be no exceptions to the DB limit on Saturday or Friday nights.
For further information please contact:
Raceway Park - 732.446.7800

140 dB - A Shotgun Blast/Jet Engine (at 30 m) Extreme Danger!
Just incase you need help with the math 30m = 98.4249 ft

120 dB - Propellor Aircraft
Threshold of Pain
130 dB - Riveting Hammer
Threshold of Feeling
100 dB - Chain Saw/Subway Station
70 dB - Noisy Restaurant or Heavy Traffic
20 dB - Buzzing Insect
10 dB - Rustle of a Leaf

Boring Bill
Old 07-21-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

Hi Stangkiller
If a car is putting out 140+ dB at the side of the car and with a open window you are definitely will heard it – you will have some hearing damage after some undefined time which may not be long. One of the noisiness plane, the Harrier jet is definitely do damage in reasonable time and they are very noisy. So commercial jet don’t come close to military planes – so that isn’t a good place to go.

120dB is 120dB regardless of what the source is. The power level doubles every 3dB, so I think you might be able to figure out the power at 140dB.

You should find this interesting -
RACEWAY PARK NOISE TEST
The decibel (dB) level will be measured in the following way: he car will be 100 feet away from the meter (the meter is a $40 Radio Shack analog type). The driver will bring the RPM up to 3500 and hold it for 5 seconds and then "gun" the motor two times. The test will be done 2 times. This will give Raceway Park a representative DB reading on your car. It should not measure over 90 DB If your car is over 90 DB at the tech inspection booth, you will not be able to race. Also, if the management of Raceway Park feels your car is too loud and measures the DB level on the track it cannot be over 96 DB under load (launch or burnout). If you go over the 96 DB limit on the track, which is done 100 ft to the side of the car, you will not be allowed to race. There will be no exceptions to the DB limit on Saturday or Friday nights.
For further information please contact:
Raceway Park - 732.446.7800

140 dB - A Shotgun Blast/Jet Engine (at 30 m) Extreme Danger!
Just incase you need help with the math 30m = 98.4249 ft

120 dB - Propellor Aircraft
Threshold of Pain
130 dB - Riveting Hammer
Threshold of Feeling
100 dB - Chain Saw/Subway Station
70 dB - Noisy Restaurant or Heavy Traffic
20 dB - Buzzing Insect
10 dB - Rustle of a Leaf

Boring Bill
thank god i don't race at raceway park. and i know about harriers, they happen to be embarked on the ship that i am stationed on. i have close to the same setup as the guy who got his exhaust measured minus the cam and there is no way you are gonna lose that much hearing driving your car. your comparing apples to oranges. dont' get to angry, remember you gave yourself the nickname boring bill.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thank god i don't race at raceway park. and i know about harriers, they happen to be embarked on the ship that i am stationed on. i have close to the same setup as the guy who got his exhaust measured minus the cam and there is no way you are gonna lose that much hearing driving your car. your comparing apples to oranges. dont' get to angry, remember you gave yourself the nickname boring bill.
Hi Stangkiller,
first I am not argry or mad - no way. second if the noise is above 120dB on your car, you will having hearing loss over time - that is a fact, maybe you don't want to face it but it is true. It is your hearing - next time a Harrier takes off, go ahead take your ear protection off and get a good ear full .
Have a great day
Boring Bill
Old 07-21-2005, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get 'em Bill!!

Like it or not, the man's right.
(Just another couple of cents from an Air Force trained 'pro.' )
Old 07-21-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

Hi Stangkiller,
first I am not argry or mad - no way. second if the noise is above 120dB on your car, you will having hearing loss over time - that is a fact, maybe you don't want to face it but it is true. It is your hearing - next time a Harrier takes off, go ahead take your ear protection off and get a good ear full .
Have a great day
Boring Bill
i don't think you are grasping what i am trying to say here. yes you are right hearing loss will happen over time due to many things including loud exhausts. i am not trying to argue that, but not everyone is exposed to extreme decibal levels like that in one shot. ie.. fighter jets, guns, whatever. if all you do is dwell on a street car that is not that loud then so be it. i am not gonna walk around all day with ear plugs in just in case i might go wot with my windows down. you have a great day as well.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
Get 'em Bill!!

Like it or not, the man's right.
(Just another couple of cents from an Air Force trained 'pro.' )
"air force trained pro" lmao
Old 07-21-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

"air force trained pro" lmao

I thought you would like that. You must be in the Navy.

Quick Reply: so is my exhaust too loud? =)