Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD coils?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

relocation and covers?

oh and just a thought, red coils have been done. its called Krylon. Similar look to molded abs plastic or whatever msd is making them. I'm not trying to "hate" just trying show that its been done. But liek said, different people have different views on how they want to spend their money, and how they want the car to look.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Launching!

i don't want krylon anything on my car. The color wans't the reason i wanted them anyway.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:45 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless you need them, they are a waste. From what I can tell, most everyone doesn't need them. I think it's more of a "well, I have everything I can do to cheese it out, so what else can I get?"
Old 07-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Launching!

It's obvious alot of people on this board have never had there ride in a show. You don't get points for looking stock. And you sure as hell don't get any points for having the same thing everyone else does.
and..since when is having an MSD ignition system cheese?
Old 07-26-2005, 07:00 PM
Mat
Launching!

I hear yah on the coils man. It's too bad your getting trashed and I can see both points of view here. I have a good idea of what your trying to accomplish and I can also see what everyone else is saying.

Would it be safe to say that to each his own and the coils though very expensive are as mentioned before, a luxury item that one can acquire for reasons other then expectation of increased performance?

Old 07-27-2005, 02:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default coils

I say if you want them, go for the points.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do they make a coil pack relocation kit. just got an ls1 for my 69 camaro and one of the coils has the end cracked off. would like to mount them inside under the dash out of sight if it will not be a problem with the wirers being that long, what do you ls1 guys think mike
Old 07-27-2005, 04:13 AM
9 Second Club

If you want points. Do what steve did. http://www.z069.us/
Old 07-27-2005, 05:39 AM
Launching!

Thumbs up

that's hot!!!
blue and it's a 69!! two of my favorite. very very nice.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:25 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaZ
Because if you're buying coils for over $600 that don't do anything except look pretty - then that is cheesey.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 69blackwidow
do they make a coil pack relocation kit. just got an ls1 for my 69 camaro and one of the coils has the end cracked off. would like to mount them inside under the dash out of sight if it will not be a problem with the wirers being that long, what do you ls1 guys think mike
Thats too far for comfort for me.

I'd mount them on or near the tranny tunney, in that area of the firewall. If there is sufficient room behind the intake/map sensor You could mount them there, on the firewall. Then run the wires.

The only problem is you'll probably have to find another coil, depending on how bad the end is cracked off. If you have a picture of it, that would probably help in determining that..
Old 07-27-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 69blackwidow
Depending on which adapter plates you use, you may not have room on the firewall to really mount them. With the S&P plates, mine was less than an inch from the firewall. Your best bet would be to probably get some FRC's and be done with it. I wanted the C5-R valve covers, but didn't know where to mount the coils. (I hadn't seen the pic posted above). That would look good if you went that route, but not sure how you could hide the wires on the inner fenderwell, unless you mounted the coils on the rear of the inner fenders.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaZ
It's obvious alot of people on this board have never had there ride in a show. You don't get points for looking stock. And you sure as hell don't get any points for having the same thing everyone else does.

Sounds like you made up your mind already.... or asked the wrong question. Go for it. Post pics of that vicious beast.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just a little different info from an MSD Tech:

"Dear Sir,

The LS1/LS6 based coils that we offer are still in the R&D process. We are still working on perfecting these units. Unfortunately, we do not have any test results or specs that we can release just yet. Keep in mind that these coils are redesigned, and are not the factory coils with our name printed on them. These coil packs are built to produce the Multiple Spark Discharge, whereas the stock coil packs provide a strong single spark. This concludes in crisper starts, quicker throttle response, and overall hotter spark at your plugs.

Thanks,
MSD Tech "

Just sharing what they told me, I will personally spend my money elsewhere until I NEED new coils
Old 07-27-2005, 04:10 PM
Launching!

I'm still on the fence. I was just hoping someone had them so i could get some first hand opinions.