Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter install

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 02:11 PM
SSU, come over and relax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1ownzYOU
Its all put together and fits, just have to bolt it up with the hangers/clamps. TSP makes quality products and have rarely if ever heard of anyone having problems with any of their stuff and not getting it resolved. If urs has an issue, you should call em up.
oh trust me mine lined up great before i put it on. when i went to put it on it wouldnt line up at all. i did pm jason at texas speed and he has been very slow returning them but i am in no hurry(reason i havent called). i took the pipe to a local performance shop that mainly works on fbodys to get them to fix it and it took 3 hours a bunch of cutting the pipes and welding pieces in to get it to fit right. after all that its great, just not worth the trouble.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU
oh trust me mine lined up great before i put it on. when i went to put it on it wouldnt line up at all. i did pm jason at texas speed and he has been very slow returning them but i am in no hurry(reason i havent called). i took the pipe to a local performance shop that mainly works on fbodys to get them to fix it and it took 3 hours a bunch of cutting the pipes and welding pieces in to get it to fit right. after all that its great, just not worth the trouble.
Well ill let ya know how it goes 2morro, were gonna put the y pipe on 2morro.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:25 PM
SSU, come over and relax

good luck

to help you out...use a ton of lubricant on the ends of the pipes so you can move em around easier

hopefully you will have better luck than me
Old 07-26-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU
good luck

to help you out...use a ton of lubricant on the ends of the pipes so you can move em around easier

hopefully you will have better luck than me

Thanks man will do, got any other tips or things that helped you out?
Old 07-26-2005, 03:57 PM
SSU, come over and relax

nothing really that i can think of just keep playing with it, you would think the thing is a puzzle you gotta hit all the angles right.

if you have clearence issues i reccomend you take your car to an exhuast shop and have em weld up the seams so you dont have like 50 clamps hanging down scraping everywhere.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

I'm hopefully doing my Pacesetters/TSP ORY this weekend. Ripping out all my EGR/AIR **** while I'm at it, too, since I got the race style. My plan for the ORY is to get it on there the best of my/our abilities and then if it's still too shitty and banging, which I expect it to be, I'm just taking it to my dad's friend's exhaust shop and getting them to adjust it to fit. Exhaust shops know what they are doing when it comes to that stuff LOL. I am getting my car dynotuned by Jeff Creech either next week or the week after and he told me to take it to an exhaust shop before I brought it to his shop to get the Y-pipe put on because the exhaust shop would be a lot cheaper than getting him to do it hahaha.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:14 PM
LC
TECH Resident

i just installed my pacesetters today alone, 5 hours...

but i lost a bolt somewhere in the K-member i cant ******* find it...

i didn't had to remove anything, just the spark plugs but i had to contorse(sp?) a BIT...

sometimes being skinny has it's benefits..
Attached Thumbnails Pacesetter install-205.jpg  
Old 07-27-2005, 07:12 AM
12 Second Club

As mentioned above the trick is getting the 1st section of the Y pipe on the driver side header installed correctly.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LC1
i just installed my pacesetters today alone, 5 hours...

but i lost a bolt somewhere in the K-member i cant ******* find it...

i didn't had to remove anything, just the spark plugs but i had to contorse(sp?) a BIT...

sometimes being skinny has it's benefits..
Yeah at 6'2 225 lbs that wasnt gonna happen for me haha
Old 07-27-2005, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SLPSS01
As mentioned above the trick is getting the 1st section of the Y pipe on the driver side header installed correctly.

Will try and remember that, were doing it 2nite around 5:30. Ill let you know it goes, ill bring the camera as well.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:26 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

haha shouldve read my writeup www.geocities.com/foff667 I had the old style but most things still apply...10mm gear wrench is your friend...i had to use a total of 5 jack stands, two regular on the rear, two truck stands on the front & one regular to hold up the passenger side header once I finally got it into place(doing the install on my own) it was a bit of a pita but about as hard as expected to be honest...I could probably do it again in like 4 hrs on my own knowing what I do now.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by foff667
haha shouldve read my writeup www.geocities.com/foff667 I had the old style but most things still apply...10mm gear wrench is your friend...i had to use a total of 5 jack stands, two regular on the rear, two truck stands on the front & one regular to hold up the passenger side header once I finally got it into place(doing the install on my own) it was a bit of a pita but about as hard as expected to be honest...I could probably do it again in like 4 hrs on my own knowing what I do now.

In an hour were puttin on the ORY, PLEASE DONT GIVE ME ANY ISSUES!! haha
Old 07-27-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

As far as using loc-tite on the threads of the header bolts don't worry about it b/c heat melts it and it won't be there anyway.

As far as tips go for the y-pipe the only way I got mine on was loosening up the header bolts so that they could swing out a bit.

Mine took about 7 hrs to do including the y-pipe removal of the egr and air system with off road headers. If you think these are hard then try putting a set of equal lenth shorties on a 87 stang with a 351w in it. You can't even get a socket on it. I had to use a offset wrench and turn the bolts a 1/8th of a turn at a time.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by exstanger
As far as using loc-tite on the threads of the header bolts don't worry about it b/c heat melts it and it won't be there anyway.

As far as tips go for the y-pipe the only way I got mine on was loosening up the header bolts so that they could swing out a bit.

Mine took about 7 hrs to do including the y-pipe removal of the egr and air system with off road headers. If you think these are hard then try putting a set of equal lenth shorties on a 87 stang with a 351w in it. You can't even get a socket on it. I had to use a offset wrench and turn the bolts a 1/8th of a turn at a time.

Mustang...?

Haha, no way the header bolts are getting loosened haha, wut a PIA to get them on and tight with the gasket on right.

Leaving in 10 min, wish me luck!
Old 07-27-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

Good Luck. If you happen to see this post before you start, loosening up the header bolts is a damn good idea to get the y-pipe on easier. Also, if I had to do it all over again, I'd place about a 2" long piece of 1" diamater radiator hose between the driver side pipe that comes right off the header and the floor. It will bang no matter how much you adjust that ****. Only other solution is true duals, or poly trans/motor mounts.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Is it a good idea to do the Y-pipe before you tighten up the headers, then? My plan was to install headers all the way and then tackle the Y-pipe but if it helps to have the headers loose, I'll do that.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TroubledWine3
Is it a good idea to do the Y-pipe before you tighten up the headers, then? My plan was to install headers all the way and then tackle the Y-pipe but if it helps to have the headers loose, I'll do that.

Well after 3 hours of twisting and angling the pipe TSP sent me is officially a POS. Its either TOTALLY off or they sent me a pipe they use for the catted ys.

theres about a 3 inch gap between the last pipe that comes off the drivers side header and the y merge that goes into the catback.

So TSP is ethier gonna refund my money for the ORY, or send me a new ORY becuz this is a joke. This thing is off by ALOT.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:29 PM
SSU, come over and relax

hate to say it but i told you so

i know exactly what you mean i struggled with that piece of junk for so long
Old 07-27-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Those pictures (particularly the last one) is why I pussed out and paid to have mine installed.

Nice job, though. I love mine.

-Mike
Old 07-27-2005, 07:32 PM
9 Second Club

Thats why I got the hooker Y pipe. It fits like a champ.