Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overheating. i hate gm!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better idea is to take off the hose connecting the throttle body to the engine (the engine side) and see if some comes out. If not you have air in your system if so then you should be fine. It's prolly just your t-stat. 99-02 models have inaccurate temp gauges because people would complain about how the gauge fluctuates (they thought something was wrong) so GM decided to make it into a "dummy" gauge and it will just stay basically at one spot unless something is wrong (overheating) then it will go into the red.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

duh, and i never thought to check if my fans are working. if they are though i'm gonna change the thermostat to a 160 and then flush the coolant. if that doesnt work then i guess i just have to live with it. i mean, at least it doesnt overheat when i drive
Old 07-31-2005, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had every type of cooling problem so far. I have a 01 with a 160* stat btw. One of the problems I had was that the P/S cooler failed and was mixing the fluid into my coolant, which I believe is at 260* plus so I was never getting really cooled fluid. I bypassed that and that seemed to alleviate the problem with the hot restarts. Don't know if that is your problem since I'm sure you would have noticed the P/S resovioir overflowing like I did, but its a possibility.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blackrat
I've had every type of cooling problem so far. I have a 01 with a 160* stat btw. One of the problems I had was that the P/S cooler failed and was mixing the fluid into my coolant, which I believe is at 260* plus so I was never getting really cooled fluid. I bypassed that and that seemed to alleviate the problem with the hot restarts. Don't know if that is your problem since I'm sure you would have noticed the P/S resovioir overflowing like I did, but its a possibility.
thats more then a possibility, i have had problems with losing P/S fluid, but i just kept refilling it. did your car overheat when it was running or only after you shut it off? my car's temp barely fluctuates when its running, only when i have the A/C on and i get on it.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:38 AM
Launching!

It would stay at 210 but I think that was more because the fans were on full blast according to the leds that came with my manual fan switch. It would start to climb though when I started hammering it, but I couldn't really do it for longer then a few minutes on hte street. Check your P/s fluid. Mine was orange and frothy before I fixed it.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Have you looked under the car to see if anything is blocking your radiator? I noticed the other day my temps seemed a bit higher than normal. A quick inpection revealed a plastic grocery bag covering about 1/2 my radiator.

As many others have already stated, check your coolant level, flush the system to get any air pockets out, change the thermostat, etc...

As far as dummy guages go, I have an '00 WS6 and my guage does appear to function as a real guage, however, I would say the gain has been turned way down compared to the '98 guages.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

It would stay at 210 but I think that was more because the fans were on full blast according to the leds that came with my manual fan switch. It would start to climb though when I started hammering it, but I couldn't really do it for longer then a few minutes on hte street. Check your P/s fluid. Mine was orange and frothy before I fixed it.
thats precisely like mine, i just filled it back up once the P/S levels went down. might have to get a new pump i guess.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Have you looked under the car to see if anything is blocking your radiator? I noticed the other day my temps seemed a bit higher than normal. A quick inpection revealed a plastic grocery bag covering about 1/2 my radiator.

As many others have already stated, check your coolant level, flush the system to get any air pockets out, change the thermostat, etc...

As far as dummy guages go, I have an '00 WS6 and my guage does appear to function as a real guage, however, I would say the gain has been turned way down compared to the '98 guages.
i checked the radiator and the fans and everything looks normal. i'm gonna flush the system and replace the thermostat when i get the chance. but for some reason i dont think thats the problem. a thermostat and a coolant flush is cheap and i guess its worth it considering the cars got 45k on it already. thanks for the input guys, i just dont want the block or the heads cracking from trying to start it up too soon after i shut it off while the temps are still through the roof
Old 08-05-2005, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by qwikz28
thats precisely like mine, i just filled it back up once the P/S levels went down. might have to get a new pump i guess.

Wait a second. Your pump wouldn't be mixing the coolant, it would be the power steering cooler if you have my problem. All v8 cars had them in 2002 so I know you have one. If this hasn't been going on too long then your pump might not have to be replaced.

The only way you can tell if your cooler has failed is if you can check out the p/s fluid. I think regular color is clear or kinda dark. However, since mine had coolant in it, which is also a lot heavier than p/s fluid, it was pretty easy to see. I just drained the fluid into a catch. You should be able to see the 2 dissimiliar fluids if this is your problem.

My solution was to get a <2001 z28 upper radiator hose (which doesn't have the cooler) and install that to bypass and remove the cooler. I then ran a tranny cooler instead. I might still buy another gm cooler and use it as well for double cooling but I'm pretty turned off to it since it has caused me a lot of problems.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:48 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

What cooling system maintenance have you done? How many miles on your car? As stated above, the fans are not supposed to run after the car shuts off and that's not likely to help anyway. Again, air in your system will cause this problem and maybe more. Start with the basics and work your way in from there.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Wait a second. Your pump wouldn't be mixing the coolant, it would be the power steering cooler if you have my problem. All v8 cars had them in 2002 so I know you have one. If this hasn't been going on too long then your pump might not have to be replaced.

The only way you can tell if your cooler has failed is if you can check out the p/s fluid. I think regular color is clear or kinda dark. However, since mine had coolant in it, which is also a lot heavier than p/s fluid, it was pretty easy to see. I just drained the fluid into a catch. You should be able to see the 2 dissimiliar fluids if this is your problem.

My solution was to get a <2001 z28 upper radiator hose (which doesn't have the cooler) and install that to bypass and remove the cooler. I then ran a tranny cooler instead. I might still buy another gm cooler and use it as well for double cooling but I'm pretty turned off to it since it has caused me a lot of problems.
i thought only the SS's had the cooler? my power steering fluid was empty before, which is why i filled it back up. a while back, i hit a curb and i had to get the steering rack replaced. i didnt know if the shop forgot to fill it back up or if it was leaking. i havent had a problem since so i guess it was just not filled after the repair. i'm gonna check the fluid tommorow morning. thanks for your replies man, i really appreciate it.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RevGTO
What cooling system maintenance have you done? How many miles on your car? As stated above, the fans are not supposed to run after the car shuts off and that's not likely to help anyway. Again, air in your system will cause this problem and maybe more. Start with the basics and work your way in from there.
i havent done any maintanence yet as the car has only 44k miles. i have always wanted a lower thermostat and i may flush the system while im at it.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HFLDtA
99-02 temp gauges are fake( reason unknown). I dont know why they are but they arent accurate at all. I test drove a 2000 TA (completely stock) and the temp gauge got up to 210 after driving 1/3 mile. These cars dont heat up that quick. My 98 has an accurate guage. It takes like 2 miles until it reaches 180. WIth the AC on it stays @ 180-185. Chances are its your gauge or T-Stat.
'98 guauges are hard wired to the sensor. For coolant, voltage from the coolant gauge go through a variable resistor (thermistor) to ground, which changes the position of the gauge needle. '99 and later gauges are serial data because it saves wires. Since the PCM needs coolant temp as well, instead of having sensor wires to the PCM and Instrument cluster, now the sensor is wired to the PCM and then the PCM tells the Instrument cluster how hot it is over the serial data line. The PCM can feed Speed, RPM, Coolant temp, etc... over one wire instead of multiple.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Teching In

i just bought a 02 ex state trooper B4C Camaro with 85k on it and it is doing the same damn thing,after i shut it off i turned the key to accessory and watched the temp gauge go all the way to the red,anyone figure out what the problem is?
Old 08-07-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96SLPCAMAROSS
i just bought a 02 ex state trooper B4C Camaro with 85k on it and it is doing the same damn thing,after i shut it off i turned the key to accessory and watched the temp gauge go all the way to the red,anyone figure out what the problem is?
i'm gonna try getting any bubbles out of the system, i'll let you know the outcome. anyone recomend a good coolant out there?
Old 08-07-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mike2kZ
It doesn't make sense for the engine to get hotter when it's not running. I think you have a bad sensor or something.
EVERYOnes car does this, the car gets hotter because its not flowing any air, even at 15 mph ambient air helps cool the engine tremendously. once u stop the car, the heat trapped inside slowly moves outwards, but the environment it is in keeps it from cooling off.

AKA: a close to sealed hood
Old 08-07-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ultraz
EVERYOnes car does this, the car gets hotter because its not flowing any air, even at 15 mph ambient air helps cool the engine tremendously. once u stop the car, the heat trapped inside slowly moves outwards, but the environment it is in keeps it from cooling off.

AKA: a close to sealed hood
thats not the problem. the problem is that the engine overheats slightly during hard driving and sometimes gets too hot after being shut off.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Check your thermostat, temp sensor, evacuate any air bubble from the system, put a manual fan switch in., flush the system and put50/50 mix in it or maybe a manual fan switch. Just some thoughts that might help.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

update- i am currently flushing the coolant out, gonna make sure i have no air bubbles, and i'm gonna replace the thermostat right now. i'll let you guys know if that fixes it. thanks for all the help guys.

o and by the way, the guy at the auto parts store said not to get a 160 thermostat cause i didnt tune it for the diff thermostat so i bought a regular stock replacement. we'll work from there afterwards