Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sweet thunder

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does neone have one of a diff company thats not sweetthunder that makes the same kind of muffflers.... how do they sound a shop says he has thos but jus not sweethunder
Old 07-29-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crazymofo1986
does neone have one of a diff company thats not sweetthunder that makes the same kind of muffflers.... how do they sound a shop says he has thos but jus not sweethunder
Stainless Works maybe? Im guessing they would sound close to the same, heres a link.

Stainless Works Chambered Mufflers
Old 07-29-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

hey guys i have been thinking about these mufflers alot and with my current exhaust i need some help. bad.

i am either going to have a borla XR1 welded in or after seeing this thread i go to thinking...what if i put two sweet thunders in my Loudmouth CB. i could leave the resonator in place. and then on the passenger side tailpipe i could weld in a swwet thunder and on the pipe that crosses over in the rear for the drivers side tailpipe i could get another sweet thunder welded in.

or i could do this and then possible eliminate the resonator..

LMK
Thanks
Louie
Old 07-29-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

well i emailed mike at sweet thunder.com so i can try to get some custom length sweet thunders. i measured the lengths in my garage and i would need a 12 inch and a 16 inch sweet thunder to go back there. i wonder how it will sound...
Old 07-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Why not just replace the resonator with just one sweet thunder? By using two behind the axle like that you are pretty much going to have a GMMG cat back set-up.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

if it sounded like gmmg that would be great. and i dont want to use only one in case it is way too loud still, this resonator is horrible.

i will most likely but two of the sweet thunders roughly the same length and weld them in, if i dont like it i will build custom true duals.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by half-n-half
if it sounded like gmmg that would be great. and i dont want to use only one in case it is way too loud still, this resonator is horrible.

i will most likely but two of the sweet thunders roughly the same length and weld them in, if i dont like it i will build custom true duals.
It has a sound like nothing else and it sounds awesome, but time and time again I can not stress enough how bad they flow. My cam peaked way to early because of them. My tuner and comp cams both agreed that it was the mufflers.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by crazymofo1986
Do a Google search for Torque Tech Exhaust. (make sure you use Internet Explorer on their site) Torque Tech sells chambered mufflers called Power Sticks, but they do NOT neck down to 2.5" like the Sweet Thunders do. If you look through the middle of them, there is no star pattern...it's pretty much a hollow 3" tube with little scoops all over the inside.

I have one in my i-pipe & a zed-style cut-out and I think it sounds great. It's cleaned up the sound of the cutout very well and I'm very happy with the sound now.

Just wanted to give another alternative that I have never seen mentioned before...
Old 07-30-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put in Pacesetter headers and had 3" short pipe with a pair of custom Sweet Thunders with only 9" chambers (14" overall I think) welded in. The tips turn out where the floor bord dips down-----about halfway down the doors. It is damn loud and VERY deep. Standing beside the car you can feel the driveway vibrating through your shoes at idle .
Not much ground clearance though . It is only temporary as I intend to get the TSP Rumbler X dual exhaust without mufflers one day.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mnc2886
It has a sound like nothing else and it sounds awesome, but time and time again I can not stress enough how bad they flow. My cam peaked way to early because of them. My tuner and comp cams both agreed that it was the mufflers.

fortunately sound is what i am going for. i figure that i will do this with my exhaust.

The edelbrock stepped headers to the ORY, and then into a single 3" electric cutout immediately after the y pipe, followed by the LM resonator and then to the Y pipe in the Lm catback out to 2 12" sweet thunders in each side of the exaust and finally my CME tips. i think will sound and then when i wanna run it i will open the cutout and then it will
sound...well,

louie