Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can o2's cause this much of a problem?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can o2's cause this much of a problem?!

Trying to get to MA from Ny i ran into some problems... I started to lose lock-up on my TC on the highway, but that was only the begining. Soon after the car started to run like crap. No power, felt like i was in a constant deadspot as if i had no stall. So naturaly i thought" well thats it trannys fried". After being on the road for almost 6 hours i get home to find a check engine light on. I go to autozone to pull the codes and find out, p0131 and p0151(o2 sensors bank 1 on both sides?).I haven't purchased them yet but looks like just about 70 bucks each. Is it possible that both sensors failed at the same time..?

I didn't think the o2's could cause so much havoc on my car. Do you think the o2 is screwing with the pcm, and thats causing the random loss of lockup?

BTW- Are these the o2's before the cat... and how hard is it to replace them..?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, o2's can really cause the car run bad. I got some water in my o2 extension during a heavy downpour, and my car ran like total hell, like it was running on 4 cylinders. The only reason I knew it was the o2 sensor was because I noticed my a/f gauge acting up, and sure enough, thats what it was, just a little water. I wouldve never thought that a o2 sensor could cause so much trouble.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:40 AM
TECH Junkie

When the PCM throws the O2 sensor codes, it imediatly falls into open loop. The factory OL tune is a "safe" rich tune to keep you from going too lean. So, yes, bad O2's can really muck things up.

Replace the front O2's with Bosche 13111's (Vette rear o2's). They have a higher wattage heater and should work well with your future LT's.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
When the PCM throws the O2 sensor codes, it imediatly falls into open loop. The factory OL tune is a "safe" rich tune to keep you from going too lean. So, yes, bad O2's can really muck things up.

Replace the front O2's with Bosche 13111's (Vette rear o2's). They have a higher wattage heater and should work well with your future LT's.

Can i purchase the vette's at an autozone?? If so what should i ask for??

I'm going to get the Bosch one's tomorrow after work then jack the front and hope it'll be an easy swap. Anything i should look out for?
Old 08-05-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mssingkid
Can i purchase the vette's at an autozone?? If so what should i ask for??

I'm going to get the Bosch one's tomorrow after work then jack the front and hope it'll be an easy swap. Anything i should look out for?
Go to autozone and ask for 2 bosche 13111's. While you are there, pick up a Haynes manual for you car.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

The vette 02's helped my problem. Check your plugs as well. I did both 02s then decided to look at the plugs before I finished and it was the driver side sensor that was bad. All 4 plugs looked terrible compared to the passenger side. That side was running way rich.