Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First header install (pending) in 20 years, LOL

Old 08-04-2005, 08:47 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First header install (pending) in 20 years, LOL

Ordered some pacesetters & pacesetters ORY from one of the sponsors. Have looked through many posts the last 2 days. Would most of you folks recommend band clamps for the header/Y pipe connections?
I have no idea what type of gaskets are supplied, but intend to get new GM (I have a high mileage engine) and that's what most seem to go with. Sound good?
I'm 54 years old, and I believe this will be the last time I crawl on the ground to do a mod, LOL.
Any suggestion welcome!
Old 08-05-2005, 12:53 AM
TECH Resident

Id use band clamps go to napa and get the truck exhaust clamps they are a litte better at sealing than a regular band clamp. And id use a new stock metal gasket...
Old 08-05-2005, 01:08 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Go with some nice band clamps. I bought mine from Jegs, it was like 45 bucks for 4 of them. I also recieved 2 or 3 of the band clamps with the pacesetters. Like was said above stick with the stock gaskets. Take your time and be carefull, its a lot of fun .
Old 08-06-2005, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its no so much the crawling on the ground part......... its the getting up!! I feel for you brother. Not quite like it used to be.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gwj
I believe this will be the last time I crawl on the ground to do a mod, LOL.
You are probably right. Headers on these cars are lots of fun. Stock manifold gasket is great. Band clamps work good too, but I would also apply a generous amount of black RTV to them too.

While you're down there, replace the front O2's with Bosche 13111's.

Also, the header install is much easier if you lift the motor with a jack stand about an 1" or 2"

Last edited by TAQuickness; 08-06-2005 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Corvette has 6 muffler bearings (GM hi-perf). Got a flux capacitor off Ebay but cant figure out the wiring for my PCM. I heard my C5's fiberglass body is a bad idea anyway.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Lasershop
My Corvette has 6 muffler bearings (GM hi-perf). Got a flux capacitor off Ebay but cant figure out the wiring for my PCM. I heard my C5's fiberglass body is a bad idea anyway.

6 MUFFLER BEARINGS!!! well I'll be...
Old 08-06-2005, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
You are probably right. Headers on these cars are lots of fun. Stock manifold gasket is great. Band clamps work good too, but I would also apply a generous amount of black RTV to them too.

While you're down there, replace the front O2's with Bosche 13111's.

Also, the header install is much easier if you lift the motor with a jack stand about an 1" or 2"
Not sure what the difference between the Pacesetter and Dynatech design is.... but I had PLENTY of clearance doing the Dynatech's w/out lifting the mtor off the mounts. That might open a can of worms dong that. (Like getting the mount bolts back in )

Not sure if I'd use black RTV on the clams either. It will bake in with the heat. Nice quality band clamps should be more than sufficient on their own. It will allow for easy disassembly for later work that involves removing the exhaust as well.

Replacing the O2's is a good call.

Not sharpshooting....just my $0.02

Oh yeah, don't forget to use a dab of anti-seize on each header bolt. Some might disagree, but it will save you lots of grief down the road if you have to take the headers off (like a head swap or engine rebuild).
Old 08-06-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

ROTFLMFAO..... I am 56 and know where you are coming from...
Old 08-06-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI i did not get band clamps with my pacesetters, i got U clamps.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

I got 2 bandclamps and 4 U clamps.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Schantin
Replacing the O2's is a good call.

Oh yeah, don't forget to use a dab of anti-seize on each header bolt. Some might disagree, but it will save you lots of grief down the road if you have to take the headers off (like a head swap or engine rebuild).
I don't think changing o2s is necessary, I reused mine, and they at 65k on them and they were working perfect and still are (I had them monitored with hptuners to be sure). But it sure wouldn't hurt anything either.

I also definitely agree with using anit-seize. If you are worried about the header bolts coming out, use locking header bolts.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:35 PM
Launching!

is thre any RTV that will withstand the temps of the header flanges? Those Gm ones seem so thin, a little extra protection would be nice, but I suspect any RTV will bake on or melt and be a big mess to clean when changing gaskets.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Launching!

is thre any RTV that will withstand the temps of the header flanges? Those Gm ones seem so thin, a little extra protection would be nice, but I suspect any RTV will bake on or melt and be a big mess to clean when changing gaskets.

I didn't need to raise the engine with my flowtechs either, the headers just slipped right in. I had to remove the steering shaft, but after its removal the header went right in.

It seems every new year I install headers or cam I find myself more tired and sore afterwards than the previous year--I guess thats what its like getting old huh--I don'tlike that to much. I hope I still have the motivation to install headers at 54!
Old 08-06-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Don't use the u-bolts! by the time you get them tight enought not to leak, you will crimp the pipe and have 3 kinds of hell if you ever decide to remove the exhaust.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

hey great hearing from you, 54 also

last project was a '69 camaro

when i got my LS1 took me two weeks to find my distributer

seriously, and then... lca, fipk... well you get the idea, did'nt know the lingo.

learning tho read about a 100 times more than i post.

and the getting up and down (god i hate putting it on jackstands) keeps us off the couch.

good luck... and hat's off to a fellow car nut!

OLD GUY'S RULE
Old 08-08-2005, 05:42 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Thanks for all the replys, guys! Just want to do this ONE time and be done with it, LOL.

Search this Thread