Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok Im sick of true duals now, what can I do??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anonymous
The car is just too loud? I even got warned at the track, that I am at the limit of the decibal meter during my burnouts?

I have to change something or they won't let me race. Any advice?

Thanks
Are you serious? That's rediculous if it's true. I mean, it's a RACE TRACK isn't it?

About the duals, I think most people switch back to a Y-pipe set-up because the cons out-weigh the pros in their opinion. The interior rattles, loud exhaust, bad clearance, etc. kind of get old real quick, not to mention the attention it attracts from the law. This is what I think though, I could be wrong.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:32 PM
10 second playa

Originally Posted by Krab
Are you serious? That's rediculous if it's true. I mean, it's a RACE TRACK isn't it?

About the duals, I think most people switch back to a Y-pipe set-up because the cons out-weigh the pros in their opinion. The interior rattles, loud exhaust, bad clearance, etc. kind of get old real quick, not to mention the attention it attracts from the law. This is what I think though, I could be wrong.
Yes, I am serious. Most days are noise days. Which means your car cannot be over 94 decibles from like 100' away. (something like that)

My car is actually pretty loud so I figured two mufflers would work better than the one Corsa? I am thinking two Borla X1R's? I just don't want to waste my time or money.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by King James
I'd say just switch out your bullets for Borla XR-1's or Magnaflow's

Hey Ive been thinking about changing to XR-1s after hearing a car with TDs and those mufflers, sounds way better than mine. Anyway I went and looked up XR-1s and there are about 5 different versions of it so which ones do I get?? Im assuming the bullet versions correct?
Old 08-10-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would change the mufflers to XR-1's 1st, the bullets just don't muffle much at all. I agree they do sound weird sometimes. I have 1 chambers but they are pretty damn loud.

under the axle and out the back will cut down on vibrations and drowning.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok Ive been trying to put up a link to a car that has TDs with XR-1s on it in the video section but cant connect to it for some reason. I like the way it sounds but dont know which muffler it has. Im assuming its the XR-1 part number 40085 but I dont know for sure. Is that number correct??
Old 08-10-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Panhard rod relocation kit. You can run 3" over the axle no problem. Get 2 more bullets. This is what I'm doing after I get my WBO2 cause I'm tired of the sound inside
Old 08-15-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oxidizr
100% FALSE ... Y pipe single 4" is more tame sounding and MADE 5-10 more RWHP in multiple applciations I have seen over a true DUAL 3" exiting at the rear. A Single 4" will flow what ever the DUAL 3" will throw at it. IN most cases a TRUE dual minus a good balance tube under performs compares to a Y-design. It is an assumption that true dual is better than ALL other designs ... There are always cases where a properly designed exhaust will outperform another improperly deisgned system .. reagrdless of configuration. Just to assuem all duals are better than sinlges is assinine.
Just goes to show.. I have seen dual 3's outperform a single 4" by about 4 rwhp and 11 ft/lbs of torque.

If you look at it in terms of Physics, a single 4" exhaust has a flow area of (4 x 3.14)= 12.56 inches squared pie x [r(squared)].
Dual 3" exhaust 2(2.25 x 3.14) = 14.13 inches squared. Not to mention the scavenging effect of the X-pipe.

I'm not going back to a Y-pipe. But then again the Camaro is not a daily driver.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:33 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I understand wanting to have true duals. Really. But if you want to have the "loud" level down compared to a small block, and the same sound, it just ain't gonna happen.
These engines produce a lot of exhaust resonance at certain RPM levels. Just the firing order itself contributes to the diffferent sound. And you will most likely (IMO) make just as much power through a good 3" Y/I /exhaust.
I have hacked through my exhaust many times making changes. Installing headers soon, maybe will make changes , but probably just keep the BorlaMouth. XR1's do sound good...... And that's my 12th Gin opinion.