Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header flange possibly bent..

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default header flange possibly bent..

i have a ticking that i have noticed recently, and have pretty much narrowed it down to a exhaust leak between the headers and head..i've retightend the header bolts and one was really loose, but i still have the tick...now if i have a bent flange, how would i go about fixing that? have them grinded down, or milled? i dont know if that is actually the case, but if it is i'd like to get some idea's so i know how to take care of it...thanks in advance..

Jon
Old 08-06-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it was loose for long enough, it probably trashed your gasket. You're gonna put new gaskets on if you spend all the money to get it milled and such, so why not just try new gaskets first? Hell, you could buy a set, and just replace the one on that side.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:27 AM
9 Second Club

While you have it off run it on a big belt sander (6x48). Just hold it flat and try to keep even pressure. You will see where the low spots are. once all of it has sanding marks in it your done.

Frank
Old 08-13-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys, i figured i could just belt sand it..just wanted to check..

Jon
Old 08-13-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought the same thing with the qtps i have, but then i noticed that the holes for the last bolt dont line up perfect, had a buddy push on the header just so i could get a stud in place (the stud because the hole was already cross threaded, thanks qtp)