Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster Muffler/Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 08:45 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Flowmaster on my car and like it pretty well. Sounds freakin awesome in my opinion. I made good power with it too. It was on the car when I got it, so if I had to buy a catback to replace the stock unit, I honestly would go with something else just for the hp. But since I already had it, I'd rather spend the $300+ on other mods.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an lt1 with a flowmaster and i wouldn't have anything else, sure the flow may restrict 2 more horsepower or so than some of the other brands but a little restiction = a better sound. personally, imo i think its worth 2 horsepower for a great sound.

on an ls1 note, my brother has a 98 ls1 camaro and when he bought it, it had a magnablow on it, sounded pansy as hell compared to mine. so he bought an 80 series blowmaster (same as mine) and got a much better sound and picked up some hp too. doesn't sound anywhere near as good as mine but it sounds a lot better.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its sound awsome, but so do a lot of other catbacks. find one that flows better
Old 08-10-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of sound. I put my 98 w/magnaflow next to my friends 98 w/flowmaster side by side. At the time we had the same mods. I would have payed someone $50 if they could have told me what the difference was. They sounded NEARLY identical. I wouldn't say the "flowmaster sound" is worth losing hp over. There are too many great sounding mufflers that flow good to put a bottleneck on your car. If sound is an issue check out www.ls1sounds.com.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only way I would put Flowmasters on my car is with a true-dual setup.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

I have a dual in/out 2.5 flowmaster crossover muffler with no cats, sounds awesome but not too loud. Pipes exit right before the rear tires (BMW conversion). No intention of changing it.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
QUOTE: Flowmaster and cutout sound great--1-3 hp less than a straight through muffler--not much really,considering you get that classic sound..

From what I've seen it's more like 5-7rwhp on a stock car and 12-15+rwhp with heads and cam. IMO I think of a classic flowmaster sound on a mustang. The LS1's don't sound any more special with a flowmaster than they do with any other muffler out there. I'd rather have a good flowing muffler, so I don't have to drive around everywhere with my cutout open to bypass a poor flowing flowmaster. My car is loud with the cutout open and screams "please give me a ticket."
Well,there is some doubt on the flow--tests are done with water-not air-although obviously a straight-through muffler is going to be better---2 different types of flow patterns-apparently the companies do not say this-[I have seen dyno-sheets posted that go both ways,different cars,different days,different dyno's,and operators!]-info was on another board---anyway,I like the sound with cutout closed as well--if it is as much as you say,it is probably at 5500-6000 rpm,which I don't touch in this car..with cutout open,and some going through the flowmaster,it sounds good to me,in and out of the car...to each their own sound...
Old 08-11-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -Q-
I have a Flowmaster on my car and like it pretty well. Sounds freakin awesome in my opinion. I made good power with it too. It was on the car when I got it, so if I had to buy a catback to replace the stock unit, I honestly would go with something else just for the hp. But since I already had it, I'd rather spend the $300+ on other mods.

Thats what I am saying. Why spend another 300+ for maybe a slight gain. I dont roadrace so it makes no difference to me. Anything is better than a kinked factory exhaust. Us poor people can go out and buy the corsca or the gmmg. I feel sorry for the poor schmuch that put the flowmaster on in the first place..lol blame him lol. In the end its 300 we dont gotta spend and What i spent on chip or ftra or some form of short throw shifter
Old 08-11-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

I have a flow it sounds ok but I got a cutout to go with it.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

depends on what you want. I put a flowmaster on mine because I liked the sound, and because I can't afford $800+ for headers/duals yet. It sounds good, only cost me $135 installed, and will work until I get the duals. If your wanting it as your final muffler system I probably wouldn't do it...