Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NGK Plugs Suck - AC Delco Iridiums Solve all Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 04:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have put many of tr55s in camaro's,trans am's and trucks all ran great for me.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:57 AM
On The Tree

It seems like the NGKs work for 90% of the people out there, just my luck I am one of the 10% that have problems. I will be one of those few guys that recommend the Iridium plugs.

Well, at least if I keep the car mildly modified, the Iridiums should last me a LONG time.

Get this:

The cost to change my plugs and wires in LABOR alone was $270 because they had to do it twice.

Adding the cost of the first bad set of NGK plugs, MSD wires, new AC Delco Iridiums,
the Fuel filter, and oil change, the total was a whopping.....................

$575

The plugs and wires better last me 2-3 years!!!

Who am I kidding, the last time I had a Sports Car for over 2 years was.....

NEVER

Now time to do searches on Trns Mounts....

Howard
Old 08-11-2005, 06:30 AM
Teching In

$575 for plug swap, that is very reasonable

Seriously, everyone should do that on they own, it took me 3 hours for the first time (wires and plugs) and for that I also went and bougt the needed 3/8 swivel extention. All from above and no torn nuckles, small scrapes though.

Installuniversity has very good instructions for it, big thanks for them.

I was surprised how-wont say easy but close enough-it was.

I used also the NKG iridiums and MSD wires and they work OK for me
Old 08-11-2005, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

NGK's work fine for me.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get you a energy suspension poly. mount from Speed inc. i just got mine for $30 w/shipping. I also had the knockin noise but it was the drive shaft hitting the torque arm under acceleration. That was because the tranny mount was wore out & it was allowing the tranny & driveshaft to shift under acceleration. Get it fixed ASAP.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by yell03
It seems like the NGKs work for 90% of the people out there, just my luck I am one of the 10% that have problems. I will be one of those few guys that recommend the Iridium plugs.

Well, at least if I keep the car mildly modified, the Iridiums should last me a LONG time.

Get this:

The cost to change my plugs and wires in LABOR alone was $270 because they had to do it twice.

Adding the cost of the first bad set of NGK plugs, MSD wires, new AC Delco Iridiums,
the Fuel filter, and oil change, the total was a whopping.....................

$575

The plugs and wires better last me 2-3 years!!!

Who am I kidding, the last time I had a Sports Car for over 2 years was.....

NEVER

Now time to do searches on Trns Mounts....

Howard
Dude I am sorry but you got raped. Lets see, first I am willing to bet that your installer didn't hook everything up right or didn't gap the plugs right. As far as never putting them in right out of the box I checked gap on all the plugs right out of the box and they were ALL at .055 gap. (that wasn't referring to you ) For someone who knows what they are doing they can change the plugs in 30 minutes on these cars. I just don't even know what to say, I'm at 270 in labor for plugs. It leaves me speachless. Basically you just paid someone $450 labor to do 2 hours worth of work. I'd be very mad if I were you. I think I might need to switch professions. Nah, I could never screw someone over like that and be able to sleep.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

I got the cheapest plugs I could find, I think they were autolites. Gapped them correctly and they work fine. I'll be a cold day in hell before I pay those stupid prices for the Irridiums.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

I don't even pay that much for the Viper!!!

I still think $270 for 4-5 hours work is not all that unfair.

It is just when you add everything up it is a small fortune.

But,

The car is running GREAT!

I had an 03 Cobra try to run me last night, I lowered the window and said..

"You know who I am don't you???"

Must people know me by my Viper as moderator of a Cobra based website.

I stayed next to them in 1st at like 20mph, but....

They turned off, I was ready to see what this thing has.

I'll check in to the Poly mount, thanks all,

Howard
Old 08-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Restricted User

They should have checked to see if the barrels on the end of the plug where the wire goes was tight. Last year I put a set of Tr55's in and the car would miss like crazy. I pulled the plugs and noticed that the barrels were all loose. I tightened them down with a set of pliers and it ran like a champ.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my tr55s are gapped at .055 and i've never had a problem...25K miles on them so far
Old 08-11-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

If it's throwing misfire codes, 99% of the time it's the plug wires that aren't on correctly causing the problem.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Wilwaxu -

The plug wires were all on well, that was my 1st thought. Then I figured it might have been a poorly gapped plug, but I think 2001Pewter is on the right track or it was a cracked plug.

2001pewter -

I think that is probably what happened.

After many years of experience I have finally figured out that if a car is pretty close to stock (mildly modified) it is best to stick with stock plugs or factory recommendations.

On my 03 Cobra, everyone was switching plugs, I did my 2.8 pulley, cai, catback, and tune all running the stock plugs with stock gap and my car NEVER had any issues that others would run in to. Also, my car ran just as hard or harder than others with the same mods. Car made 450rwhp.

Just my opinion, but lots of experience behind it.

The important thing is the car is running great.

Little tick coming from under the hood (header gasket or AIR tube gasket), but it ain't hurting performance any so I'm not gonna play with it.

Howard
Old 08-11-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well just and FYI when I forgot to connect one of my plug wires I had a slight ticking as well as a hesitation and some jerking. Kinda like what you are experiencing
Old 08-11-2005, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Now the car is perfect, no hesitation, stumbling, or anything, I am sure it is one of those other 2 things. Most likely the header gaskets.

Howard
Old 08-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

No problems with multiple sets of NGKs here either.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Most people never have problems with their NGKs and I like mine.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:41 PM
TECH Veteran

NGK's are a great plug. More than likely the installer smashed a gap or two or cracked one of the insulators and it was shorting. Highly unlikely there was actually anything wrong with those plugs. Sorry man...that sucks about the money. But as you said atleast its running well now.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:12 AM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi

I did NKG 55 Iridiums and MSD wires and my car is running great. Best parts I ever put on.

JA
Old 08-12-2005, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98A4LS1
No problems here with AC Delco iridiums gapped at 0.042.
you should not gap the iridium plugs there is a bulletin about the tips being damaged and leave the factory gap alone. if you want a tighter gap buy one in the same heat range with a tighter gap.

As for the Pontiac dealer that says NGK are junk needs to look at their AC Delco's closer. It says right on the plug made in USA with Japanese parts, and some even have NGK and NGK numbers on them. I worked as a GM tech for 3 years and will probably do so in the future (right now working at a chrysler dealer as a tech but want out of there) and I replaced enough plugs in 5.3s and ls1's to know who makes the plugs and plenty of tricks to do the job faster. For them to say NGK's are junk and to get some AC Delcos is like having a chevy throw a rod and someone saying chevy's are junk buy a GMC next time. That being said you'll like the Iridiums much better for the fact that they'll last 100,000 miles and are really alot better than the copper design of the tr55's in performance and durability both but they do cost alot more up front.

Last edited by Cody Brooks; 08-12-2005 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:59 AM
On The Tree

I misquoted:

The dealer said the regular NGK TR55s are not great for our cars and that the Iridium plugs were the way to go.

I don't think he was directly bashing NGK, just didn't like non-iridium in our cars.

I just think it was either a damaged or faulty plug.

With the difficult plug changing process in these cars, I'm happy to have a plug that lasts a LONG time.

Howard

Quick Reply: NGK Plugs Suck - AC Delco Iridiums Solve all Problems!