Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I do with this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What do I do with this?

Okay, I'll admit that I have a procrastination problem. I am a Master Procraster! I bought my new lid and bellows months ago and just now getting ready to install. I printed off my Install University installation guide and noticed that it doesn't mention this hose coming off the driver's side of the stock lid baffels. A.) What is this hose? (EGR?) and B.) What do I do with it once I remove the stock lid and baffels?

Old 08-13-2005, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

i believe its part of the AIR setup, but im not sure of the process for removing just the tube and not the entire air system.... I have a 98, i dont even have one of those tubes

wait, ive heard of some people just putting a breather filter on it i think, correct me if im wrong guys..
Old 08-13-2005, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is part of the egr system ( I think ) any way you can buy one of the small breather filters like sold at Advance they work great. I just traced the hose down to the air pump located at the front of the drivers side in the bottom of the valance, there is a little flap covering it cut the hose off there at the pump, to get it out of the engine bay and put the breather filter in the hose then secured with a hose clamp.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:17 AM
Import Patrol

most new lids come with the small breather for it
Old 08-13-2005, 05:46 AM
IMJ
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah If Your Lid Dosent Come With The Breather Filter They Sell Them At Most Auto Parts Stores. I Had The Same Problem With My Mti Lid. I Just Zip Tied The Hose To An Area Close To The Stock Location With The Breather Filter Attatched To It...
Old 08-13-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

to the top
Old 08-13-2005, 02:29 PM
10 Second Club

Put a breather on it and you will be all good.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

..regarding that little hose. every once in awhile my car will make what sounds like a whirring noise, shortly after startup (warm or cold) for approximately 1-2 minutes - coming from what i am almost positive is that hose. sounds like the ps pump going out or something. wtf? checked ps fluid, car has 46k on it, no steering problems or noises ever.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SgtB
Put a breather on it and you will be all good.
What about water/moisture? Seems like just putting on a breather filter on the end of the hose, in that location, would make it susceptible to water (driving in heavy rain, washing the car, etc.) Any thoughts?
Old 08-14-2005, 01:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AnimalSS
What about water/moisture? Seems like just putting on a breather filter on the end of the hose, in that location, would make it susceptible to water (driving in heavy rain, washing the car, etc.) Any thoughts?
You can attach the breather anywhere that is convenient for you...or a location that is "shielded" from the elements...many of people have done this without incident...I wouldn't worry too much about the moisture. Then again, you could always do the !AIR mod and rid your engine bay of all the ugliness associated with the AIR system (including that hose)!
Old 08-14-2005, 01:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow i cant believe how long this thread has gone with no right answer, lol. That is part of the AIR system. Either a breather filter on it and it looks like *** or remove your whole useless AIR system. Do a search on here and anywhere else to see if you can find a write-up. It is pretty easy and shouldnt take too long to remove the hoses and pump.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
You can attach the breather anywhere that is convenient for you...or a location that is "shielded" from the elements...many of people have done this without incident...I wouldn't worry too much about the moisture. Then again, you could always do the !AIR mod and rid your engine bay of all the ugliness associated with the AIR system (including that hose)!

You were typing as I was typing, lol. Yet we both have the same idea, ditch the AIR system.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
you could always do the !AIR mod and rid your engine bay of all the ugliness associated with the AIR system (including that hose)!
Don't you have to have the AIR system if you have a cat converter?
Old 08-14-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

ttt …anyone?
Old 08-14-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AnimalSS
Don't you have to have the AIR system if you have a cat converter?
Not really. Do you have emissions testing in your area? The A.I.R. (Air Injection Reaction) system pumps fresh air into the exhaust stream when the vehicle is cold to help to "jump start" (if you will) the catalytic converters...once the conveters are up to temperature, the A.I.R. system shuts off...at least this is the way that I understand it. So other than an SES light, the only real side effect is that some unburnt hydrocarbons will find their way out of your SS in the few moments before the converters come up to temperature. You can have the trouble code for the AIR system disabled...maybe someone else can add to this or explain it better?...
Old 08-14-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay… Done!

Here's a before and after pic of the install, and a pic of the A.I.R. mod. I haven't yet decided about if or when I would remove the A.I.R. system. Till then, this is good enough for me. Thanks for the help guys.

Before

After

A.I.R. mod (can you see it?)