Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok so the XR-1s are twice as quiet as Dynomax bullets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 01:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Bullets sound like *** and the XR1's rock.
I keep seeing people say this.

Bullets are the most common muffler on duals, because they are cheap and flow well I am sure, and everybody says that duals sound the best. Now, obviously there are far different sounds with different mufflers but exactly how bad do some of you guys think the dynomax bullet equipped duals sound? Is it just the part throttle you don't like? I'd put my bullet equipped, big cammed duals against just about anything for sound at idle and WOT.

Not that I can afford new mufflers right now, but I can't help but wonder what I am missing by keeping the bullets.....
Old 08-19-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
Hopefully mine will get louder. *crosses fingers*
It won't
Old 08-19-2005, 01:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
I keep seeing people say this.

Bullets are the most common muffler on duals, because they are cheap and flow well I am sure, and everybody says that duals sound the best. Now, obviously there are far different sounds with different mufflers but exactly how bad do some of you guys think the dynomax bullet equipped duals sound? Is it just the part throttle you don't like? I'd put my bullet equipped, big cammed duals against just about anything for sound at idle and WOT.

Not that I can afford new mufflers right now, but I can't help but wonder what I am missing by keeping the bullets.....

Its hard to explain but I have now had both and will say that the XR-1s are far superior in sound to bullets at idle and WOT. Its hard to explain but the Borlas have a more muscley sound than the bullets. The bullets sound like how much they cost, cheap.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Its true black, bullets sound cheap because they are cheap. The Spiral Flows are about the best cheap muffler you can buy IMO, followed closely by Sweet Thunders (a little more expensive). XR1s are a really nice muffler because they are tame inside so they dont wear on you, but you still get that nice sound outside the vehicle. It is a very muscle car sounding tone the Borlas give you. I've got Spiral Flows and love them, but wouldn't mind making the swap to XR1s after hearing them in person. I do like my Spiral Flows though, and right now the car needs that $265 it would take me to get the XR1s on going to other things like an LS6 intake and pulley. Eventually my car will have XR1s on it though I do believe.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:32 PM
10 Second Club

One question I do have is what would be the difference in sound with my duals with XR-1s through my headers which are 1 3/4 and the same set up except with 1 7/8 headers? I need to switch anyway and have always wondered if there was a difference in sound.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

One question I do have is what would be the difference in sound with my duals with XR-1s through my headers which are 1 3/4 and the same set up except with 1 7/8 headers? I need to switch anyway and have always wondered if there was a difference in sound.
It would sound MUCH better, I went from Pacesetters to QTP 1 7/8's and it was night and day, SOOO smooth, clear, NO rasp, and loud as hell still I think you would NOT be disapointed.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Good post, this is exactly what I need to do to my car so my neighbors will stop getting pissed off at me. Only problem is, those XR-1's are $$$$$$.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Turo
Good post, this is exactly what I need to do to my car so my neighbors will stop getting pissed off at me. Only problem is, those XR-1's are $$$$$$.
You get what you pay for
Old 08-19-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Turo

Yup! about 130 dlls each. I had one installed in the I-pipe of my Borla catback some time ago to eliminate the rasp produced by LTs and ORY. I love the sound now
Old 08-19-2005, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddelallata
Yup! about 130 dlls each. I had one installed in the I-pipe of my Borla catback some time ago to eliminate the rasp produced by LTs and ORY. I love the sound now

Mine were $115 a peice.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ddelallata
This is what I NEED to do. Although I have cats, the GMMG is still way too loud with the mods I have (TEA 5.3 1.5, QTP headers, QTP catted y)

I'm thinking about sticking the XR'1 on the I pipe -- will it really cut the drone?
Old 08-20-2005, 08:52 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6freak
This is what I NEED to do. Although I have cats, the GMMG is still way too loud with the mods I have (TEA 5.3 1.5, QTP headers, QTP catted y)

I'm thinking about sticking the XR'1 on the I pipe -- will it really cut the drone?

My drone was so loud you couldnt carry on a conversation in the car. Now its practically gone. I used to drive around in 5th on the interstate so I could talk to my girlfriend but now there is no need to.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Is your 408 iron?
Old 08-20-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Veteran

My drone was so loud you couldnt carry on a conversation in the car. Now its practically gone. I used to drive around in 5th on the interstate so I could talk to my girlfriend but now there is no need to.
Yeah, I find that it's not necessary to talk to my girlfriend while driving either.

Is your 408 iron? I was wondering if an iron block sounds different/better than aluminum.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Yeah, I find that it's not necessary to talk to my girlfriend while driving either.

Is your 408 iron? I was wondering if an iron block sounds different/better than aluminum.

Yeah its an iron block. Did you watch the two vids in the first post??
Old 08-23-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Nice! So I'm guessing with the cats in place it will quiet down really good. I like the GMMG sound but it's just too loud now. I'll post my comments on the XR-1 as soon as I can.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

i may have to swap my "pro flow twister" out that is dumped on the end of my y pipe... hwen i pick up a set of longtubes adn go with duals i think ill be getting xr1's..