Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guess my ticking noise *WITH VIDEO*

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Guess my ticking noise *WITH VIDEO*

I recently replaced my driver's side header gasket. In the course of it, I broke the bolt off in the head. (See attached pic) Me and ele-blue95 got it out and tapped the threads back out. It made for a good solid hole. Torqued everything down and voila! the noise was gone. Now it's back, and I've checked the torque on every bolt, felt around the header flange, and felt around the band clamps on the duals, and I CANNOT find a leak.

The vid starts on the driver's side, then crosses over to the pass. side. You can hear the noise I'm talking about best on the driver's side as the camera is going past the fenderwell. Someone please listen to this and tell me what it is!

Contestants Enter Here!

Thanks
Allen
Attached Thumbnails Guess my ticking noise *WITH VIDEO*-broke-off-bolt.jpg  
Old 08-23-2005, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the SMOG legal headers? I've heard some people wind up with a ticking sound from the AIR tubes. I can't remember the specifics of the fix though.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

Yep, they're the race headers. No AIR or EGR. I do live in Alabama, the land where people ask "What the hell is emissions?"
Old 08-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Have you noticed a power loss? If you have it you might try starting it and pulling the fuel injector wires off each one in order and if it goes away on one of the cylinders chances are you have a bent pushrod. Remeber to put the connector back on after you pull it off! Thats the important part.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:01 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DOUBT IT
Yep, they're the race headers. No AIR or EGR. I do live in Alabama, the land where people ask "What the hell is emissions?"
Emissions??? Yeah, my car puts out plenty of it!
Old 08-24-2005, 12:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94LS1Z
Have you noticed a power loss? If you have it you might try starting it and pulling the fuel injector wires off each one in order and if it goes away on one of the cylinders chances are you have a bent pushrod. Remeber to put the connector back on after you pull it off! Thats the important part.
No power loss, and on all the dyno pulls I've had, even with the smoothing at a minimum, the curve is nice and smooth.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:51 AM
11 Second Club

Anyone think this could be the spark jumping between the coil post and plug wire terminal inside the boot? Number seven goes on there alright, but it doesn't *click* at all, either audibly or through feeling it. These plug wires are rather old. The car has 65k miles on it. I'm thinking of replacing them tomorrow with the MSD Superconductors.