Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud mouth or flowmaster american thunder?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud mouth or flowmaster american thunder?

I have a question and I was looking for some feedback. I have a 01 SS right now, i have the flowmaster american thunder setup but had the shop make everything to 3'' pipes ne ways i'm looking into purchasing the loud mouth setup with the oversized y pipe for my car. My car is loud now but is the loud mouth louder? I know noise doesnt mean power but which setup is the best for power and noise out of the two?

2001 SS k&n fipk,bbk throttle body, zo6MAF sensor, hotchkis 1.5'' drop,american thunder exhaust,b&m short throw,18x10 zo6r's back 305/30/18
front 18x9 zo6r's 275/40/18
Old 08-23-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

i think anybody here would tell u to change the blowmaster. They dont flow worth **** get the loudmouth
Old 08-23-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

and the loud mouth will be just that ....loud.. you could always make it a borla mouth if its too loud
Old 08-23-2005, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

well if u want opinions they will follow... make a quick search and u will find a lot of info about it. in MY opinion to talking to a old flowmaster guy. it sounded great on the car and only cost me a 150 bucks. got tired of it being TOO quiet. LM is great and the price isnt bad a little over 300 bucks. u will feel a difference between the 2 exhausts. trust me i know. get the LM 2 will the resonator and if its too loud for ya but the LM muffler for another 100 bucks.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the loudmouth on my car for a long time and yeah its loud, but i thought it sounded really good. especially compared to the slowmaster catback i took off my car, which i did not put on, i bought the car with it. loudmouth will make a lot more power than your slowmaster b/c its one of the best flowing catbacks out there. only reason i took mine off is b/c i got dual cutouts now when i want it loud and i wanted to be quiet so i dont draw as much attention to myself due to some problems with getting another ticket and possibly not having insurance if i do.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:50 PM
10 Second Club

Keep the Flowmaster and get and electric cutout. Its sounds great with a set of longtubes and you should hear it open with my cam...LAF!!!

However its nice to be quiet cruising..especially with the size of my cam the Flowmaster sounds great but when I open the cutout its sounds mean as hell.

You will feel a noticeable difference with lontubes and a cutout vs. stock manifolds and the flowmaster....
Old 08-23-2005, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SgtB
Keep the Flowmaster and get and electric cutout. Its sounds great with a set of longtubes and you should hear it open with my cam...LAF!!!

However its nice to be quiet cruising..especially with the size of my cam the Flowmaster sounds great but when I open the cutout its sounds mean as hell.

You will feel a noticeable difference with lontubes and a cutout vs. stock manifolds and the flowmaster....

I second that, I made the mistake of buying a flowmaster, it sounds great but doesnt flow, so for I am installing a flowtech cutout. There isnt one catback system or muffler that outflows a cutout.

Plus they are cheap. I figure I will keep the cutout on, until I have $700.00 to drop on headers and true dual. Nothing outflows true duals
Old 09-10-2005, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Default 2.5 or 3"?

When you say the flowmaster doesn't flow like it should are you talking about the 2.5" exhaust or the 3" exhaust? Are you saying that just the muffler doesn't flow good enough or the pipes and everything with it? If it's just the mufflers why not just get different ones?

Last edited by griff71177; 09-10-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get a Rumbler
Old 09-10-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

i would say get something other than flowmaster. i have flowmaster and it sounds great but again it has no flow. so either i'm get an e cutout or i'm going to change to the hooker exhaust setup.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Griff, when people say the Flowmaster doesnt flow well they are referring to the muffler itself. The pipes are all mandrel bent so thats not a problem.

The Loudouth is loud. The Loudmouth is also stainless. If you want the Loudmouth system but dont care to pay extra for stainless and want a muffler instead of the resonator that comes with the Loudmouth then buy the TSP Rumbler. Its basicly the same as the Loudmouth but only $199 without tips.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, the flowmaster=poor performance and the LM=too loud. Have you thought of looking into other good sounding performing exhausts like hooker, magnaflow or the ultra expensive gmmg?
Old 09-10-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Griff, when people say the Flowmaster doesnt flow well they are referring to the muffler itself. The pipes are all mandrel bent so thats not a problem.

The Loudouth is loud. The Loudmouth is also stainless. If you want the Loudmouth system but dont care to pay extra for stainless and want a muffler instead of the resonator that comes with the Loudmouth then buy the TSP Rumbler. Its basicly the same as the Loudmouth but only $199 without tips.
No.

The Loudmouth is an empty resonator, the Rumbler is a Dynomax bullet, basically a glasspack.

They're not the same at all. Unless maybe you're thinking of the Loudmouth 2, which is completely different than the original.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, this is my first post here so be gentle!

I just bought a 98 last monday, had 17,000 miles on it was garage kept it's nice.

It is completely stock.

I'm going to do some exhaust work, I have a friend who works at a chevy shop and can do all the work for free, so price isn't that important.

In your opinions, what system would you get, for the best performance, then sound, then money I guess. If you were in my situation?

Thanks
Old 09-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

I just noticed the stick at the top of this page, I will be reading that. But if you have any (quicker than going through all of that) I'll still listen

Thanks
Old 09-10-2005, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

IMHO, I'd just go for a magnaflow or Borla muffler. They're cheap, sound good and make good power.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by staff23
Ok, this is my first post here so be gentle!

I just bought a 98 last monday, had 17,000 miles on it was garage kept it's nice.

It is completely stock.

I'm going to do some exhaust work, I have a friend who works at a chevy shop and can do all the work for free, so price isn't that important.

In your opinions, what system would you get, for the best performance, then sound, then money I guess. If you were in my situation?

Thanks
Dude, a catback is something that anyone can install. Most are going to tell you to get what they have because that is what they prefer. For performance and all stainless and ~400 dollars, you can't beat the Magnaflow. Deep not too loud rumble at idle and a good mellow roar at WOT.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:51 AM
10 Second Club

i have LT's O/R Y into Dynomouth, I get compliments all the time on how it sounds mean. Just my 2cents
Old 09-13-2005, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Dude, a catback is something that anyone can install. Most are going to tell you to get what they have because that is what they prefer. For performance and all stainless and ~400 dollars, you can't beat the Magnaflow. Deep not too loud rumble at idle and a good mellow roar at WOT.

When I said money wasn't an option I meant on the system not for the install. But I get what you mean...Should have just said what's the best and left it at that..

Thanks!

Quick Reply: loud mouth or flowmaster american thunder?