Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems with airbox...what to do???

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default problems with airbox...what to do???

Currently the car has a "stealth airbox" (IMO the worst piece of crap ever). I bought it years ago and have never been happy with the ill fitting turd.

anyway...
So my factory lower airbox is gone (lost in a move), so what options do I have? I would be happy with a simple lid setup...but with no lower airbox/radiator support I would have to find one for sale.

Should I just go with the FIPK? I know there is a lot of debate about the $$/hp gain...but keep in mind my delima with the lower box.

The car is nothing crazy...just a few bolt ons. Mac headers/ory, Yank Y3000, transgo, !emissions, !EGR.

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
Doug
Old 09-01-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Well you can probably find a lower air box fairly easy and cheap. It depends if you want to try and find one or just pay more for the K&N and have it right away. I'd check the for sale section for someone parting a car, I don't think the lower air box is a high demand item.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply.

I searched about this topic and have found mixed reviews of the FIPK...mostly because of cost/hp gain vs. a lid.

I think after aquiring a factory lower airbox and lid, and all the necessary components I might as well get the K&N kit.

Any other ideas? I have been out of touch with the LS1 aftermarket for a long while and it seems that now there are twice as many parts out there, and they are cheaper!

thanks,
Doug
Old 09-02-2005, 04:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Volant cold air induction

http://www.volantperformance.com/pdetail.asp?ID=158

Thinking about getting one of these myself

Originally Posted by 85transamtpi
Thanks for the reply.

I searched about this topic and have found mixed reviews of the FIPK...mostly because of cost/hp gain vs. a lid.

I think after aquiring a factory lower airbox and lid, and all the necessary components I might as well get the K&N kit.

Any other ideas? I have been out of touch with the LS1 aftermarket for a long while and it seems that now there are twice as many parts out there, and they are cheaper!

thanks,
Doug
Old 09-02-2005, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help!

Will this kit work with a standard T/A hood? It looks like it would be better with a WS6 style hood.

I will perform a search on this intake. Looks like a little better quality than the K&N kit.

thanks again,
Doug
Old 09-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

I've got the same question as doug... does the Volant work with the standard T/A hood? Can't find anything from any of the websites on the dimensions, but it doesn't look like it from what I see...