Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not Impressed

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Impressed

I just put my flowtech ceramic coated headers and y pipe on , and i must say, im not all that impressed, it sounds nice, but my car seems even slower then it was before, still didnt simulate the rear o2s yet, but would that really matter, plus my egr seems to make a loud suckin sound any ideas. maybe i just need a tune? the car has a 6 speed, and the clutch pedal gets really mushy, almost like the fluid heats up. ive heard that the slaves on the 99s are poorly designed, i was told to put DOT 5 break fluid in replace of the original stuff. but i cant find where the old stuff is drained out. If any one knows whats going on here, can you please help me out, or offer some advice
Old 09-04-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your EGR is causing ur PC to mess up a bit....Your PC is reading a sucking noice there.....that will slow your down a bit....and yes the 02 sims will help it....I had the same problem just fix those should be k
Old 09-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Teching In

what hill happen if i block off the egr compltely my o1 trans am doesnt have all that jazz on it.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had problems with the car right after the LT install. It seemed to lerch at part throttle, and felt like it had no power.

I completely removed EGR, and AIR systems, and my car ran 10 times better.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28C4maro82z
Your EGR is causing ur PC to mess up a bit....Your PC is reading a sucking noice there.....that will slow your down a bit....and yes the 02 sims will help it....I had the same problem just fix those should be k
rear sims won't do anything besides get rid of the check engine light. you probably also think your slower because your car is running extremely rich..do you notice any black smoke at wot?
Old 09-04-2005, 07:07 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Originally Posted by zerotosixzero
what hill happen if i block off the egr compltely my o1 trans am doesnt have all that jazz on it.
Are you saying the EGR fitting on the header is open, that is, no block off plate? If so that is where that sound is coming from.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Flowtechs are a knock off of a knock off. Bottom of the barrel for LT. The whole flowtech line sucks.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

my flowtechs are great they fit like a glove and i picked up 34 hp with out tunin with duals over my slp y pipe and cat back set up and it is slowmasters on da duals..... so dont talk ****..... they are a just fine product.... i mean really who keeps these cars long enough for you to need 1300 dollar headers when flowtechs are like 220 ---tim
Old 09-04-2005, 10:01 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

He is just stating, that if you DO keep the cars long enough (like most of us) you should probably look for better. They do the job, but why buy something you are going to have to replace. The quality isn't there.

Look at the head flanges for example compared to a mildly decent set of headers. (hooker for example)

Any set of longtubes is going to work.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by zerotosixzero
, i was told to put DOT 5 break fluid in replace of the original stuff. but i cant find where the old stuff is drained out. If any one knows whats going on here, can you please help me out, or offer some advice
Dont use DOT 5 brake fluid it is silicone based and will mess up your brake system. DOT 3 and DOT 5 are NOT compatable
Old 09-05-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
Dont use DOT 5 brake fluid it is silicone based and will mess up your brake system. DOT 3 and DOT 5 are NOT compatable
I think he means for his clutch. You should still use the DOT 3, the drain plugs are under the car. There is a lower and upper drain plug. Remove the lower and drain the fluid, replace, and use the top plug to refill.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need to get it dyno-tuned! You won't need sims if they know what they are doing when they dyno-tune it. You will also see some more horse's too. And the car will run much better.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Address all problems and like he said dyno tune it, or your not using all of your new power potential.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Launching!

Mine is much much faster with the flowtechs, you should get any problem fixed besides the SES light from no sims cause that won't matter. but there must be a problem, those headers should give a good kick in the pants. All headers give around the same horsepower numbers, the flowtechs fit my car great as well, I had expensive Hookers before and they were just as good as the flowtechs-except the hookers have much better welds. Both Hooker and flowtech are from the mother company Holly-this is why both headers look the same, so I wouldn't expect the hookers to be miles ahead of the flowtechs on any level. I've also had cheapy summit uncoated headers that went through 10 years of snow and salt before they started to show some serious wear, so if you plan to have your ride less than this peroid, might as well get cheap headers, otherwise stainless is the way to go.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:37 AM
Teching In

i think the main reasons my car feels the way it does, is the clutch issue, it gets really mushy even with regular driving. and a tune im sure will make a diffrence, one other thing i noticed is that when im standing near it while its runing it burns my eyes. its never done that before, must be runining really rich
Old 09-06-2005, 01:38 AM
Teching In

and i put some gasket sealer around my egr on my intake, and it seemed to have gotten rid of any leaks, but i think ill go with the whole egr and air block off kit from speed inc.