Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which exhaust should I get?
SLP Loudmouth
16.67%
Magnaflow
13.89%
Hooker
18.75%
TSP Rumbler
9.72%
GMMG (used)
27.08%
Borla Adjustable (used)
9.72%
Corsa (used)
4.17%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Which one should I get?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the Borla with H/C 1 7/8" long tubes no cats. But I have the QTP electric that stays shut 99.9% of the time. This way gives a nice sound, plus you can be untolerably loud whenever, with the flip of a switch. Plus really nice quad 3" intercooled tips.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronc777
Take a vote a let me know which exhaust to get...I don't have enough money for some of them new, but I would consider used. Also, feel free to explain why...
None of the above .Listen to my Bassani "street competion" catback w/Kooks 1-3/4 LT's and ORY before you buy one.I sent the clip to ls1 sounds but I don't know how long it takes them to get it on the site.It's only 1 clip for about 60 seconds so I'll get more soon.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Go with corsa its nasty. i got kooks with a corsa catback. that combination destory's GMMG and longtubes. U dont hear alot about Corsa because its 850.00 for the catback and its the only stainless catback designed by GM
Old 10-31-2005, 08:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

No offense, but you might as well be holding a poll on which girl to pick up at a club on a Friday night! Exhaust is a personal choice. What do you want? Cheap, loud, mellow, deep, max performance, expensive, or somewhere in between? My advice is to listen to other people's F-bodies that have aftermarket exhausts. Listen to soundbites on the web too. Then you can make a decision on what YOU like.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
If you dont mind not having tips then get duals dumped at the rear (TSP sells them), or you can get the Bassani run out the back for like $779 in aluminized steel. Duals will net you more power and I am thinking of switching to them in the future as they sound means too, so if you are thinking of duals then def get them over any catback and if you want it loud get them with the dynomax bullets.

He's right. Can't beat duals IMO. My friend has a '99 Z28 with Mac midlengths and LM, awesome sound. However, when I passed him at WOT with him WOT as well, he said he couldn't hear his car at all due to the beautiful (and deaf-inducing) sound achieved by adding some Sweet Thunders and an X or H-pipe. Simply amazing sound. Hands down the best mod I've done so far. Power gain was amazing as well. For the price of some of those catbacks, you could get a set of Pacesetter LT's and a TD system dumped at the axle. Mine came out to $500.00 total. I got a good deal from a fellow member who decided to buy a Vette and sold me his new Pacesetters. Sweet Thunders are $110.00 shipped for two 18" aluminized mufflers. $50.00 for a H-pipe and $125.00 for the duals to be installed. Cheap, power-producing, head-turning sound. And oh yeah, it's LLLOOOUUUDDD!!
Old 11-01-2005, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by transamws686
If you want a great cat-back go for magnaflow, I have it with my Kooks and LT's and it is simply awsome, I got mine for $330 shipped to my house. If yuo are interested I can still get them shoot me a pm.
PM sent
Old 11-05-2005, 02:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've only heard one Corsa, but it sounded nice.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

i'd go SLP loudmouth 1 all the way. sounds the best, ZERO restriction, easiest install, and now its modular, with the interchangable bullet resonators, if you're interested in that. plus you get backed by your factory warrenty, if still applicable, a great company and excellent customer service. its even cheaper to buy a loudmouth set now then when i did 2 or 3yrs ago. add the SLP Ypipe and high flow cats, and you have a great, all stainless, matched system.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Magnaflow All The Way!!
Old 11-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

My vote is the LM. I just got it installed a few days ago and I love the sound. It is louder at idle and especially at WOT than stock. I like the performance gain also.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:50 AM
TECH Regular

Default BORLA all the way

Borla is an original, these others are copycats. who else warranties their stuff for 1 MILLION miles or lifetime. They make excellent power,fit well and sound great, plus the adjustable plates. I run Hooker LT's,ory and Borla cat back, I get compliments all the time, its loud at startup, pretty quiet when warm at idle, but when u crack the throttle, WOW. My buddy with a Roush GT says he wishes his car sounds like mine. And if u want dyno #'s, my car dynoed 326 w/L a lid,k&n and a borla cat back in 100 degree heat outside at the stockyards in July. its not even an SS, just a 99Z28m6. Just check out the xhaust world, Burns, Dr gas and Borla are at the top,period!
Old 12-08-2005, 02:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

True Duals or a cutout in the stock one until you can afford the true duals
Old 12-08-2005, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

I had the Borla, sold it. Ended up with the Hooker catback. With my LT's and ORY it sounds amazing.

Andy
Old 12-08-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
i'd go SLP loudmouth 1 all the way. sounds the best, ZERO restriction, easiest install, and now its modular, with the interchangable bullet resonators, if you're interested in that. plus you get backed by your factory warrenty, if still applicable, a great company and excellent customer service. its even cheaper to buy a loudmouth set now then when i did 2 or 3yrs ago. add the SLP Ypipe and high flow cats, and you have a great, all stainless, matched system.
Your factory warranty will NOT apply to your LM. When one of your cats fail, they're gonna blame it all on your LM, just like they did mine a couple years ago.

BTW, don't waste any money on a "high flow" catted y if you plan on headers, cause they won't fit the headers. Not to mention the performance gain with stock manifolds is pretty small.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

BTW, I didn't vote cause my choice is not on there. Let me give you a couple words of advice about true duals:

1. 3" duals with sweet thunder mufflers sound bad *** with LT's. They are however very loud. If you can get them over/under the axle and run out back, this will eliminate much of the noise in the cabin.

2. Duals dumped will rattle EVERYTHING inside the car. From interior panels to loose change, to your teeth.

3. Add a decent sized torque converter (if you're an A4), and it seems like the exhaust volume doubles because of the higher rpms your driving around in before lock-up. It's crazy loud and IMO incredibly obnoxious. The sheer loudness of the exhaust combined with exhaust fumes made me nauseas (sp?).

4. Add a good sized cam and holy ****! There is no way I would have been able to do it, had to sell the duals after the TC went in cause it was so loud. There is no way in hell anybody with half their hearing left would d/d a car like that.

My thoughts on a cat-back:

1. Your catback should be proven to flow well, i.e. Loudmouth, Hooker, Dual/Dual, Magnaflow, Borla, etc. Don't piece together a catback with stock diameter piping (just replacing the muffler) because there won't be as much of a performance gain. Also, stay away from the Flowmaster American Thunder series catback for the LS1.

2. You LM will sound great with stock manifolds and catted y. Add headers and catted y, and the drone inside the cab will increase around 2000-2500 rpms, but the exhaust note will still be clean and aggressive. Get rid of the cats and the LM sounds like absolute ****, rasp and backfire like crazy. I didn't have the LM long enough after my header install to experience the sound with the TC or cam.

3. The Hooker Cat-Back sounds great with any combo of shorties/long tubes and catted/non catted y. Don't have to worry too much about rasp or drone with this cat-back. You may be worried it's too quiet from what you read, but it will settle and get louder over time. Add a torque converter and it ups the volume, but also makes the exhaust note a bit higher pitched. Slap a good sized cam in and it gets much louder and much less refined, but still very liveable. My cam lopes real good through this muffler.

4. SLP dual/dual, IMO the best choice for anyone deciding on a med-large stall and big cam and still wants to be d/d comfortably. It cuts out some of the lopiness of the cam (which I wanted, the Torq. 2 lopes HARD in an A4) and sounds great IMO. It's somewhat quieter than the Hooker, but all stainless steel. You can get lucky like me and pick up a muffler with tailpipes for around $100 plus shipping. Buy the over the axle and i pipe from SLP for about $150 total and you've got a $600 catback for $250.

Sorry for the long *** post, hopefully it helps you with your decision. I've been through 4 different exhaust systems, so everything I commented on was from personal experience, not from sound clips. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Well if you want loud then id go with Slp LM, thats what i have a love it, although another more affordable option would be to get a cutout and a magnaflow or hooker muffler welded in. That way when you wanted loud you could run the cutout open and when you wanted it more on the quiet side run it through the muffler. However, if you plan on additional mods, such as heads/cam/headers/etc in the future id go with duals. Duals sound badass and provide more power over all the catbacks you listed. I love my SLP LM with ory and headers, sounds absolutely evil, but if I could do it over I would have went with duals for the power and sound. JMO.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Kpowr82 is right though duals dumped with bullet mufflers is really loud, if I had a true dual system id have one custom made and run out the back with either borla xr-1's or a similar muffler, otherwise the drone and resonance inside the cabin is enough to drive you crazy and rattle out your fillings.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Launching!

go with the corsa....
Old 12-11-2005, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

I just ran my duals out the back under the axle and it is so much nicer now. Still loud as hell outside the car, but very liveable inside. It's the best of all worlds. You get that unbeatable duals sound, but can still relax and listen to the music or a passenger. If you plan to do duals, yes they are loud as hell inside the car when dumped.......but like I said, it is perfect now. Otherwise, I vote for Hooker.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Base it on what your final goals are for the car vs. your sound preferences.