Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for catted y-pipe...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for catted y-pipe...

I like the Hooker/pacesetter headers, but I cant find a catted y- pipe that will hook up to it so the car can pass inspection. I know texas speed has one but it sais "not CARB certified" WHat does that mean?
Old 09-18-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, any aftermarket longtube headers with cats won't pass the visual inspection "if they check"
Old 09-18-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by THE LAST Z
I like the Hooker/pacesetter headers, but I cant find a catted y- pipe that will hook up to it so the car can pass inspection. I know texas speed has one but it sais "not CARB certified" WHat does that mean?
The California Air Resources Board tests all aftermarket parts that might affect a vehicle's emissions. If they find that the part doesn't have a "significant impact" on exhaust emissions and it passes all other applicable regulations then they certify the part and assign an Exective Order number. That means that the part is CARB certified. All powertrain related parts installed on cars registered in California are supposed to have a CARB EO number to be emissions legal. The thing with long tube headers is that the catalytic convertors are moved farther downstream from the exhaust ports, so they can't be certified. It is against federal and California emissions regulations to change the size, type, or position of the catalytic convertors when installing aftermarket modifications (and technically it's against the law to replace a functioning catalytic convertor). Their resoning is that moving the cats downstream will affect the "light-off" time, when the catalysts actually begin to function. So any long-tube header is technically for off road use only, even if they don't cause an increase in vehicle emissions. If your state has only a sniffer test or an OBD II scan during the inspection process then you won't have anything to worry about. If they do a full visual like the smog ***** in California then it won't pass. Most counties in most states don't have to worry about that, though.