Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASP Pulley question...Tried to search, but no luck

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASP Pulley question...Tried to search, but no luck

Here's my story. My trans am had a lingenfelter top end kit motor that was pulled out of a corvette dropped in after my original blew. What's the difference between the corvette pulley and the f-body pulley? Also, I need to get the overdrive pulley for the alternator because of my stereo setup, but didn't see it listed in the corvette section of online stores only the f-body. So, the question is: Which crank pulley do I need to get, and can I still use the overdrive for the alternator? Also, would the belts I need be different from the usual f-bod setup with the underdrive crank and overdrive alt.?
Old 09-19-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

use the fbody pulley
why would you need the corvette one? just because you have a 'top end kit motor' or whatever doesnt make any difference. the alternator/ac/powersteering are going to be in the same place..
just buy the fbody one.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Banned

They pullies won't line up. You'll need the f-body one! Forget the alt pulley. I don't have one and you'll never tell the difference.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brandon
use the fbody pulley
why would you need the corvette one? just because you have a 'top end kit motor' or whatever doesnt make any difference. the alternator/ac/powersteering are going to be in the same place..
just buy the fbody one.
I thought I would need the corvette pulley because the motor itself is out of a '98 vette. I wasn't sure what the differences between the vette LS1 pullies and the f-body pullies (alternator/ac/powersteering). I also couldn't figure out the difference between the crank pullies ASP offers. Hopefully the fbod pulley works since it's cheaper
Old 09-19-2005, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

Firehawk#608 do you have any aftermarket amps? I'm pulling with two MTX amps and my voltage tends to drop now when I turn it up especially at night when the headlights are on. I wasn't sure how much of a difference it makes. Thanks
Old 09-19-2005, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kapedogg
Firehawk#608 do you have any aftermarket amps? I'm pulling with two MTX amps and my voltage tends to drop now when I turn it up especially at night when the headlights are on. I wasn't sure how much of a difference it makes. Thanks
Damn I didn't know you had 2 amps! That's one helluva stereo! I don't have a problem, then again I never drive the car at night (bug splatter) and I hardly ever use the stereo (listen to the exhaust). It might just pay for you to get that amp pulley. It'll take back a bit of the gain from the underdrive pulley though.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Do you think I could get away with a beefier alternator instead? I don't want to take away from the crank pulley gains too much. I've got one amp pushing 6x9's and components and another pushing a small sub. But most the time, I am listening to the exhaust

I just want to make sure, I need the f-bod pulley even though the motor was taken out of a corvette? Thanks for putting up with my ignorance...