Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is plugging the pcv OK?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is plugging the pcv OK?

I'm wrapping up a complete polish of the engine bay. I'm also getting rid of all clutter, !wires,!air, and tidying up the ignition & fuel wiring. I'd like to get rid of all the pcv hoses while I'm at it. Can I plug the two outlets on the passenger side and the one on the driver's side and then run a breather on the oil fill spout? I know it's not emissions legal, but I don't run cats anyway. I' already non-emissions compliant. Is there any adverse effect or trouble I might run into?
Thanks.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm thinking of getting rid of my PCV stuff too when I get my new valve covers I'm still on the fence though
Old 09-20-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
I'm wrapping up a complete polish of the engine bay. I'm also getting rid of all clutter, !wires,!air, and tidying up the ignition & fuel wiring. I'd like to get rid of all the pcv hoses while I'm at it. Can I plug the two outlets on the passenger side and the one on the driver's side and then run a breather on the oil fill spout? I know it's not emissions legal, but I don't run cats anyway. I' already non-emissions compliant. Is there any adverse effect or trouble I might run into?
Thanks.
You could do the LS6 PCV conversion, that eliminates the tubing around the intake and such. I'm not sure that just a breather would be fine for the PCV system though. The PCV system typically pushes out a substantial amount of oil (later found in our intakes when you take them off). Eh... maybe it could work.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you gonna build too much crankcase pressure and eventually blow out your main seals and unseat your rings...pcv system is a good thing
Old 09-20-2005, 11:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by oange ss
you gonna build too much crankcase pressure and eventually blow out your main seals and unseat your rings...pcv system is a good thing
The seals were the first caution that came to mind. I know the breather would evacuate the passenger valve cover sufficiently, but there's all that pressure on the other side of the motor that has nowhere to go. I was curious to see if anyone else did this.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run a PCV breather from the LS6 valley cover,another one from my old Ls1 plastic PCV on top of the valve covers and one in place of the oil filler cap. All these PCV vents have worked well so far for me.