Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic vs. heat wrap

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ceramic vs. heat wrap

I'm looking to buy a set of pacesetter LT headers and a ory for my daily driver, If i used header wrap instead of the coated headers, would there be any issues besides corrosion resistance, because i live in NJ and after winter the coating would be almost gone anyway, and stainless is out of the question; cant afford $1000+ for 25hp. I'm not worried about rust because I had $75 headers on my beater nova for 5 years, i drove that in the rain and snow and they never rusted through
Old 10-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

DO NOT USE HEADER WRAP. It voids the warranty on most headers, and it'll at best cut the life expectancy of your headers in half. So that by the time you buy your second set of headers, you'd have been better off springing for the stainless ones in the first place.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

When I worked at Jeg's, a guy brought in his old headers that he wrapped(daily driver) anywho....the headers practically crystalized and crumbled apart. Wrap is meant just for the strip....and I still wouldn't use it. Wait a little longer and get stainless. Most coated headers I've known of look like crap after a while....many have warranties, but who wants to remove/install headers everytime they start rusting......
Old 10-11-2005, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

What about some kind of spray? Rustoleum or some kind of heat anit rust spray for where the collectors are? Would something like this work?
Old 10-11-2005, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

when you are pulling them off, and buying another set of pacesetters, you will wish you had boughten a set of qtp's
Old 10-11-2005, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

ok no heat wrap,if i buy the ceramic pacesetters whats the life expectancy? whats so special about our cars that makes them go through all headers other than stainless so much faster than other vehicles?

for example, my buddies mud/driver/tow vehicle for 8 years now the headers are on thier 3rd engine cheapo $100 dynomax.... i guess thats why i'm so clueless on this subject
Old 10-11-2005, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

i know alot of happy owners in florida with lots of miles on them
Old 10-11-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wrap is evil. It holds the moisture in. DON'T DO IT!
Old 10-11-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Save up for stainless in your climate, why spend the money more than once and changers headers is a ******* bitch....Wrap is for racing only and not even then its worth a ****.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

I was at work today at Advance Auto Parts (need an alternator? sorry we don't stock it, but we have Big Papa pickles or how bout some jumbo cashews) and was pricing headers, to my suprise i found a set of hooker stainless lt for $20 less than ceramic coated hmmm...
Old 10-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

As far as I know, Dynomax is the only(or one of few) manufacturers that have their headers Jethot coated. Hooker and many others use their own process which has no warranty....

Yeah....I love going to Advanced Auto, Pepboys and Autozone....I can buy snacks, toys and drinks.....but can't find anyone who knows dick about anything.

Like when I went in there for sparks plugs for my V8 S10. They asked what vehicle and I explained it was custom and to just look up an older Chevy with a 350 in it.....talk about a puzzled look
Old 10-12-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

I had a friend that used header wrap on one of his primary's (because he kept on burning that same wire.... it was also an LT1 ANYways.... he just had one header primary wrapped and had a leak from his intake oil got on the wrap... and the bit%* caught on fire while doing a freeway run.....

Last edited by FIREHAWK #07; 10-12-2005 at 10:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Ceramic vs. heat wrap