Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check this out before spending $$$ on a catch can!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 12:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok that would explain the part not comming up, thanks bshell
Old 11-10-2005, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bass685
is this the correct number fot the hose? i tried a few gm parts sites and came up with nothing?

10 inches of 5/16 ID Rubber fuel line from autoparts store OR 1x GMPN 12568010

Thanks
The new part number is 12573109
Old 11-10-2005, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fs40993
FYI.....This PCV mounted verticaly (vs horiz) eliminated oil in my intake.
Me too along with AMW catch can.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the new hose part number
Old 11-30-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just for the record. I just did an oil change. I recently added the AMW head bracket so that I could mount the catchcan on my pass. side head and give my PCV valve somewhat of an upward tilt. It's not as vertical as I'd like it to be, but it'll have to do for a quick apt. parking lot rig job.

I've got 300 mi. on the can w/ the new valve, and new positioning. I also cleaned out the can so it was completely clean of any oil residue from before. So when the next oil change comes up I'll be able to give a very accurate reading on how the valve is working w/ the new setup.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

Default thanks

thanks, lookin forward to the verdict
Old 12-02-2005, 03:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok guys I did the PCV mod about a month and a half ago. I just took off my TB to do an electric water pump and noticed my TB now has a lot more oil on the back of the blade than it did before I did the PCV valve/ls6 valey cover. The oil is now coming from the line that runs stright from the passenger side valve cover to the TB it self. Anyone have any idea's as to why there is so much oil in there? Is it possible that now that the PCV has a smaller hole the motor is venting the excess pressure though the valve cover/TB hose? When I disconnected that hose it was litterally dripping with oil. Thoughts on this would be nice. Thanks

-William
Old 12-02-2005, 07:55 AM
8 Second Club

I have notiuced that as well. The other thing that I noticed is the Fast 90mm TB does not have that line to the TB so the valve cover just gets plugged. What if you just route the line from the valve cover to tee into the PCV line and hope that the air/water seperater picks it up?
Old 12-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vortech
I have notiuced that as well. The other thing that I noticed is the Fast 90mm TB does not have that line to the TB so the valve cover just gets plugged. What if you just route the line from the valve cover to tee into the PCV line and hope that the air/water seperater picks it up?
I've tried that, and the engine doesn't like it because you are combining a vacuum and non-vacuum source together (the line that goes from the TB to the valve cover is a fresh air line that is not under vacuum - the PCV line is under vacuum).

I've done the cap, the fixed orifice valve, and the LS6 valley cover, and capped off the free air line going to the TB. I'm gonna replace the cap with a breather tonight to make sure the crankcase vent system is getting enough free air, because I can't see how the vented cap would provide enough. The car is running well right now though, and for some reason, my oil pressure is a little lower (which is fine by me as mine has been really high usually), and the engine doesn't make as many tapping/clacking sounds (not sure how that works).

I'll see how the breather does...
Old 12-02-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
and for some reason, my oil pressure is a little lower (which is fine by me as mine has been really high usually)

excessive breather pressure will reduce pump effieciency, resulting in lower pressure
Old 12-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Hmmmmmmmmmm...why?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

air pressure fighting oil pressure
Old 12-02-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSDriver
Ok guys I did the PCV mod about a month and a half ago. I just took off my TB to do an electric water pump and noticed my TB now has a lot more oil on the back of the blade than it did before I did the PCV valve/ls6 valey cover. The oil is now coming from the line that runs stright from the passenger side valve cover to the TB it self. Anyone have any idea's as to why there is so much oil in there? Is it possible that now that the PCV has a smaller hole the motor is venting the excess pressure though the valve cover/TB hose? When I disconnected that hose it was litterally dripping with oil. Thoughts on this would be nice. Thanks

-William
I have the ls6 valley cover set up with a stock replacement pcv valve and a catch can. I just went out and took off the valve cover to tb hose and it is bone dry. I even ran a Q-tip through it as far as I could and it came out dry.
Do you still have the stock pcv valve laying around? Might throw it back on to see if there is any difference...
Old 12-02-2005, 11:29 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Interesting...I'll have to see what this breather does for me. Should be in my hands today. It only dropped 5 psi across the board, and I still have 40 psi at hot idle, 50-55 cruising, and 80 at WOT.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Well, after looking at my oil pressure a little more closely, the only place it is lower is at idle. The rest of the places it is the same as before. Breather will be on tomorrow...
Old 12-02-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just bought the new oil cap/breather I'll let you guys know how it goes.

-Wiliam
Old 12-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Hmmmmmmmm...definitely an intriguing result.

Previous setup:

GM Vented Oil Cap
Fixed Orifice PCV Valve
Fresh air line from TB to valve cover plugged
LS6 Valley cover
AMW catch can after PCV, before manifold

Results: reduced oil pressure at idle (around 40-42 [approx] psi)
reduced engine noise (piston slap much less noticeable)

New setup:

Metco Breather (ONLY CHANGE)
Fixed Orifice PCV Valve
LS6 Valley cover

Results: oil pressure increased (now idles at 45-50 psi)
increased PCV valve noise (whistling)
increased engine noise (more piston slap)

Not too sure what to make of it, but my oil pressure is now back to normal. The only thing I didn't try was running the fresh air tube with the GM vented oil cap, but that isn't an option since I'm gonna be going to aftermarket valve covers in the near future.

I'm guessing my crankcase pressure has dropped back down to what it was before...guess my seals should last longer, at the expense of some increased engine noise. Guess it is a good thing I just installed my aftermarket stereo components.

Comments welcome.

Oh, and to those that say the oil cap breather will cause the engine to run shitty can go back to the drawing board...there was no difference in idle at all. Vacuum leak my ***.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Comments welcome.

Oh, and to those that say the oil cap breather will cause the engine to run shitty can go back to the drawing board...there was no difference in idle at all. Vacuum leak my ***.
Weather you realize it or not, it's not being metered through the MAF, and is probably not the best way to modify your PCV system. Hook some tuning software up, and I think you'll change your mind.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BackinBlack02SS
Weather you realize it or not, it's not being metered through the MAF, and is probably not the best way to modify your PCV system. Hook some tuning software up, and I think you'll change your mind.
wasnt being metered thru the MAF to start with
Old 12-02-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmmmmmmmm...definitely an intriguing result.

Previous setup:

GM Vented Oil Cap
Fixed Orifice PCV Valve
LS6 Valley cover

Results: reduced oil pressure at idle (around 40-42 [approx] psi)
reduced engine noise (piston slap much less noticeable)

New setup:

Metco Breather (ONLY CHANGE)
Fixed Orifice PCV Valve
LS6 Valley cover

Results: oil pressure increased (now idles at 45-50 psi)
increased PCV valve noise (whistling)
increased engine noise (more piston slap)

Not too sure what to make of it, but my oil pressure is now back to normal. The only thing I didn't try was running the fresh air tube with the GM vented oil cap, but that isn't an option since I'm gonna be going to aftermarket valve covers in the near future.

I'm guessing my crankcase pressure has dropped back down to what it was before...guess my seals should last longer, at the expense of some increased engine noise. Guess it is a good thing I just installed my aftermarket stereo components.

Comments welcome.

excessive breather pressure will reduce pump effieciency, resulting in lower pressure

Quick Reply: Check this out before spending $$$ on a catch can!