Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check this out before spending $$$ on a catch can!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BackinBlack02SS
Weather you realize it or not, it's not being metered through the MAF, and is probably not the best way to modify your PCV system. Hook some tuning software up, and I think you'll change your mind.
And whether you realize it or not, and you don't, I'm not even using the MAF. This car is tuned full time speed density, and my tune is still spot on, even with the breather. No. Seriously. It is.

Yet another reason to not use a MAF.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by oange ss
wasnt being metered thru the MAF to start with
It actually is to an extent, since the free air line connected to the throttle body. All of the air that goes through the TB is metered by the MAF.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The simpleist way that I have found to eliminate the oil consumption problem is this:

Mount the PCV valve vertically in a line running from the back of the passenger side valve cover fitting to the driver's side valve cover fitting. Basically, you run a hose from the fitting on the back of the passenger side valve cover to the 90 degree (plastic) fitting on the driver's side valve cover. Cut the hose & install a "T" fitting. In the vertical leg of the "T", is a 1.5" or 2" long 3/8" hose poining upward. The PCV sleeve mounts over this piece of hose & clamped to the 3/8" hose. The PCV is mounted fat side down into the sleeve & clamped (if you have no sleeve, use a 1" or so piece of hose with an ID large enough for the PCV base to fit into). Now run a hose from the top of the PCV valve to the throttle body & secure the PCV against the firewall ensuring that it is vertical & you are done. The car remains plumbed as it was intended by GM & no more oil consumption. No catch can, breather cap, plugged holes, or small orificed PCV valves. Cost is for a "T" connector, some hose clamps, & a little bit of 3/8" vacuum hose.

If the short line from the passenger side valve cover, this is the second line toward the front of the engine I am describing & not the line discussed above, continues to allow oil into the intake, a small fuel filter can be installed in that line. Mine does not.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
It actually is to an extent, since the free air line connected to the throttle body. All of the air that goes through the TB is metered by the MAF.
the maf is in front of the TB, i dont get what you're saying?
Old 12-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Which means that the air has to go through the MAF before it gets to the throttle body, thus all of the air that goes through the TB is metered first by the MAF. That is, if you are even using a MAF.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

And whether you realize it or not, and you don't, I'm not even using the MAF. This car is tuned full time speed density, and my tune is still spot on, even with the breather. No. Seriously. It is.

Yet another reason to not use a MAF.
That changes things considerably. It's hard to tell what you have done to your car based on your very informative sig. Based on my SD third gen days, I'm more inclined to like the MAF over SD IMO, but it really depends on your setup.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Yeah...for some reason, I just decided to omit a great deal of info from my sig. With the tools available today, SD is a very good option...I can't wait until I actually have something done to the car that will make it go fast.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

If you have air coming in the tb through another source other than the maf the maf wouldn't know it. So you should actually be saying all the air going through the maf is metered by the maf (that's not a typo).

Look at it this way if you disconnected your bellow you would have air going through the throttle body that wasn't going through the maf. How would the maf be able to meter it? If your quote is true then some how the maf would be able to meter what goes into the tb even without the air passing through the maf. That wouldn't work unless the maf was after the tb.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Ugh...I give up. The internet mechanics win.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Please help me understand how air coming into the tb from a different place other than the maf could be metered by the maf; no sd tuning involved seeing how that seemed to be the conditions when the quote was made.

Quick Reply: Check this out before spending $$$ on a catch can!