Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone gained power switching from Hooker LTs to Kooks/QTP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well for all the haters my firend is one of these guys going for the fastest cam only record so he has every singlt bot on out there. AND we did the dyno pulls back to back. dynoed three times, swapped and then dynoed three times. the rest of his exhaust consists of a couple of 3" bullets on the headers.
he went from pacesetter 1 3/4" w/3" to kooks 1 7/8" w/ 3". Air fuel was the same with both headers.
I assumed this thread was asking for people going from 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 not going from 1 3/4 to 1 3/4, thats just retarded unles you have some crap headers like SLP.
Alot of people will tel you that double the price tag isn't worth the bigger headers but some people will do what it takes to get every hp they can out of their car (ie: i have a 90/90 setup on my stock motor).
I too will be switching to kooks 1 7/8 but i'm getting the 3 1/2 collector.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Ah, the random, unwarranted BS post. I love these.

It's possible. Velocity merge collectors in the header collector and in the Y-merge are huge factors.
I didn't say it wasn't true (though it's not as others have pointed out), I said it was bull ****. Saying "there was 'someone' a 'while ago' that had jet hots and switched to qtp and gained 18hp" is BULL **** for several reasons. Read the thread, not just my "unwarranted" BS call.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:50 PM
dug
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
Well for all the haters my firend is one of these guys going for the fastest cam only record so he has every singlt bot on out there. AND we did the dyno pulls back to back. dynoed three times, swapped and then dynoed three times. the rest of his exhaust consists of a couple of 3" bullets on the headers.
he went from pacesetter 1 3/4" w/3" to kooks 1 7/8" w/ 3". Air fuel was the same with both headers.
I assumed this thread was asking for people going from 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 not going from 1 3/4 to 1 3/4, thats just retarded unles you have some crap headers like SLP.
Alot of people will tel you that double the price tag isn't worth the bigger headers but some people will do what it takes to get every hp they can out of their car (ie: i have a 90/90 setup on my stock motor).
I too will be switching to kooks 1 7/8 but i'm getting the 3 1/2 collector.
Edelbrock sell some stepped 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 headers with 3.5" collector.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Ah, the random, unwarranted BS post. I love these.

It's possible. Velocity merge collectors in the header collector and in the Y-merge are huge factors.
eh not sure if its unwarranted...Im 99% sure durien was untuned with his jet hots...then switched to the QTP's and had cartek tune him...delete cot add a little timing...easy 18hp.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:56 AM
TECH Resident

im not going to get too much in the middle here, but we sell jet hot and QTP... generally our cars with QTPs and our custom true duals, lid etc make about 345-350 rwhp with bolt ons, stock wheels, stock gears etc on 91 octane in Arizona conditions. The same cars with the same custom true duals using pacesetter/jet hot/hooker seem to make about 7-10 rwhp less for the same given mods and conditions. Figure 3-5 is a simple variable every car will have even given the identicle mods

Then you have cam cars... this is where the difference gets big! most of our combos are true duals, G5X3 cam, lid and some sort of headers... the QTP guys seem to constantly hit 405-410ish which for AZ is high considering we run lower timing... the jet hot guys are generally 10-15 rwhp lower at 390 to just under 400. Thats not to say ive never had a jet hot car get 405 because I have... but again that comes back to every car having a variance.

The reason I personally sell QTP headers, besides the power, is the quality. Its a stainless steel design and EVERY car ive done has had a super simple install with fitment being perfect! They are lighter then the competitors, look much nicer, dont rust or glaze, and tuck up rediculously well compared to the others... I make about the same margins on each, but I prefer the QTPs when it comes to the installers preference
Old 10-18-2005, 09:21 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^
Yes, my kinda post.

I too did a swap (from SLP's to QTP HVMC LT's). Not only did it gain significant dyno numbers (along with a FAST 90), but it also picked up much response down low (even when compared back to back on a stock LS6 intake).

Collector design is pretty damn important.

Edit: Being that the post starter requested Hooker/Pacesetter vs. QTP comparo, I didn't post my results.

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 10-18-2005 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:06 AM
dug
Banned

Maybe the stainless steel is the reason qtp's make more power. Stainless steel conduct less heat and would keep the heat in the exhaust. keeping the velocity up.

Quick Reply: Has anyone gained power switching from Hooker LTs to Kooks/QTP?