Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better flowing LT's ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better flowing LT's ?

I was thinking of an idea that might increase the flow in LT's. Now if its been done, my bad. If not, and its a good idea, someone please steal it and put it into market. (just gimme a free set).

So, you find out what order your cylinders fire (applicable to any car), and you weld your pipes together that the fireing order goes in a counter clockwise direction (looking twards the front of the car, collecter nearest)

14 (<drivers side/passenger side>) 41
23 32

In the collecter you put an elongated spike with fins that have a slight twist, so that on the drivers side it gives a right handed twist, and the pass side...a left handed twist. This will alow the exhaust gasses to #1, leave the collecter in an orderly fashion, and allow scavenging to be more efficant; and #2 promote better flow charisterics. The drivers side's right handed twist will help the gasses pass through the first left hand bend on the drivers side (as in it pulls to the middle of the car, unless your using a straight pipe, but in most cases the exhaust goes twards the middle of the car) and on the passengers side's the left handed twist will allow better flow on the right handed bend in the pass side. And in conjunction with atleast 1 x pipe, it will give enough backpressure and equalization to make it IMO the best option for scavenging with LT headers with TDE.

any oppinions?
Old 10-31-2005, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

dude you just confused the living hell outta me...
Old 10-31-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Should be good for at least 1.21 gigawatts.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CamaroRumble
dude you just confused the living hell outta me...

guess a pic would be a better explination.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by FLA02TA
Should be good for at least 1.21 gigawatts.
AT LEAST
Old 11-01-2005, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

erm.. ya pic = good idea.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
AT LEAST

na, ud need that + a mister fusion for that! if nothing else, a flux capasitor! your crazy!
Old 11-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Kinda hope this helps explain...

the header tube labled 1, is the first cylender fired in the sequence...#2, 2...#3,3...#4,4. this sequence will create a twist in the exhaust, the same as if it were a table top fan blowing air at you. (except obviously there are no blades) Also not included in pic was the header spike...if you dont know what that is, ill explain that later. I hope that helps draw out my idea a little better.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
exhaust.bmp (93.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 11-01-2005, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mrwilson
I was thinking of an idea that might increase the flow in LT's. Now if its been done, my bad. If not, and its a good idea, someone please steal it and put it into market. (just gimme a free set).

So, you find out what order your cylinders fire (applicable to any car), and you weld your pipes together that the fireing order goes in a counter clockwise direction (looking twards the front of the car, collecter nearest)

14 (<drivers side/passenger side>) 41
23 32

In the collecter you put an elongated spike with fins that have a slight twist, so that on the drivers side it gives a right handed twist, and the pass side...a left handed twist. This will alow the exhaust gasses to #1, leave the collecter in an orderly fashion, and allow scavenging to be more efficant; and #2 promote better flow charisterics. The drivers side's right handed twist will help the gasses pass through the first left hand bend on the drivers side (as in it pulls to the middle of the car, unless your using a straight pipe, but in most cases the exhaust goes twards the middle of the car) and on the passengers side's the left handed twist will allow better flow on the right handed bend in the pass side. And in conjunction with atleast 1 x pipe, it will give enough backpressure and equalization to make it IMO the best option for scavenging with LT headers with TDE.

any oppinions?
Yeah there called Kooks
Old 11-01-2005, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

hehehe
Old 11-02-2005, 05:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Mrwilson - If I understood your thoughts correctly there where 2 sides to your idea.

1. the firing order. Yes this is a major part of header design, however the commonal garden V8 has an unequal firing order, so to correct it you would need to swap two of the exhaust outlet tubes to the other side of the engine. Despite the obvious physical limitation of fitting such headers, the altered length will also have issues with the exhaust pressure wave.

The only way to correct it is to correct the firing order so that it is more like that of a 4 cylinder DOHC unit. Ferrari and TVR and Lotus' V8's are all flat plain cranks (like a Formula 1 engine), this corrects the firing order, it also makes them sound very different too, as it is the uneven firing order that gives an American V8 it's distinctive rumble.

2. I beleive LG made some headers with some sort of conical swirl device to promote scavenging. However it was vastly more complex to make and cost something stupid like 4 times the cost. It did yeild gains over their stock LT headers but only by 6bhp or so (if memory serves). So one has to ask would you pay $4000 extra for less than 10bhp gain?
Old 11-02-2005, 06:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Mrwilson - If I understood your thoughts correctly there where 2 sides to your idea.

1. the firing order. Yes this is a major part of header design, however the commonal garden V8 has an unequal firing order, so to correct it you would need to swap two of the exhaust outlet tubes to the other side of the engine. Despite the obvious physical limitation of fitting such headers, the altered length will also have issues with the exhaust pressure wave.

The only way to correct it is to correct the firing order so that it is more like that of a 4 cylinder DOHC unit. Ferrari and TVR and Lotus' V8's are all flat plain cranks (like a Formula 1 engine), this corrects the firing order, it also makes them sound very different too, as it is the uneven firing order that gives an American V8 it's distinctive rumble.

2. I beleive LG made some headers with some sort of conical swirl device to promote scavenging. However it was vastly more complex to make and cost something stupid like 4 times the cost. It did yeild gains over their stock LT headers but only by 6bhp or so (if memory serves). So one has to ask would you pay $4000 extra for less than 10bhp gain?
ahha...ok. well, priceing is a big concern yeah...