Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which cold air intake for LS1??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which cold air intake for LS1??

Originally I was thinking about getting the slp cold air intake but have heard mixed reviews. My dad has a 2000 SS with slp's cold air intake but says he has problems in the rain . So Ive been looking for alternatives and found the Austin Performance SSRA Intake. Its made of ABS plastic, not metal, and doesnt heat up like slp's does (supposedly) and is said to deliver 13 rwhp. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this intake or any others out there. Please hit me up with opinions and suggestions. Thanks
Old 11-02-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the ssra, cant give you any horse power gains or anything like that but it did pull harder after i put it on.
i have drove in some pouring rain i shouldnt have, and didnt have any problems with sucking in water. as long as you stay away from puddles you should be alright.
i would recommend this to anyone.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

- I put the CAI on my old 2000 T/A and I def saw an improvement from it, however SLP says if you already have an SS/WS6, adding CAI will actually hurt performance
Old 11-02-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

SLPs kit wont hurt performance.

it seals to the airbox making what little the stock hood does useless.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:40 PM
Banned

FTRA, it's SS and doesn't hang down low like the SSRA. I sealed mine up and my mileage improved somewhat and the engine runs smoother at high speed cruising. I could not get track results but supposedly it's good for .2.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

i have the VOLANT Cold Air intake..i LOVE it...i have NEVER had problems with water, or anything else for that matter have not dynoed yet, im sure it freed up a few Horses, but as an appearance mod its sweet and sounds awesome at WOT
Thats my $0.02
Old 11-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Meat4Muscle
Originally I was thinking about getting the slp cold air intake but have heard mixed reviews. My dad has a 2000 SS with slp's cold air intake but says he has problems in the rain . So Ive been looking for alternatives and found the Austin Performance SSRA Intake. Its made of ABS plastic, not metal, and doesnt heat up like slp's does (supposedly) and is said to deliver 13 rwhp. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this intake or any others out there. Please hit me up with opinions and suggestions. Thanks
I'm very happy with my SSRA as well. And it sure the hell makes the throttle response during a 90mph cruise much improved. Anyone with a cold air intake seems to love the improvements they have made so this has me believe you really can't go wrong by picking one over the other.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Teching In

I have the SLP Lid and Cold Air Intake and I love it. It looks sweet, was relatively easy to install, and I have never had any problems with it in rain or anything else. It's a good system, frees up a few poneys, and to me SLP is pretty reliable if something isn't right.

There ya go.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

I'm running a SLP lid and Austins SSRA on my non-ramair camaro. I'm pretty happy with the setup and don't plan on making any changes. Overall, I'd say that the Austin is probably a better bet when it comes down to the decision between it and the competing CAI manufacturers.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Alright, thanks for all the feedback guys. I figured that the different CAI's probably wouldnt differ much but I needed to see who was pleased with what. All feedback appreciated, thanks again.