Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLP vs QTP HVMC

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLP vs QTP HVMC

I bought my car with the FLP Longtubes and FLP Y-pipe on it. I know the Y is only 2.5" and I know QTP/Kooks seem to make the most power. Soooo...

Is it worth it to buy QTP Headers (w/ HVMC) and the QTP Y-pipe (Flowmaster Merge) to mate up to my Hooker Catback?

I plan to do a Cam in the early summer 2006.. how much power do you think I'll be losing with the FLPs?

(Buying the QTP Headers and Y-pipe would delay my Cam until the end of summer at least)

Thoughts.. Opinions..
Old 11-07-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

I would think its worth it. Maybe even see 10-15 hp increase.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

What other mods do you have? How big of a cam? I see you have a 2000...might want to start with basic stuff like an ls6 intake or a pulley. Just MO though.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldn' t think you' d be loosing that much power. I though those HVMCs would be better suited to a really short exhaust, or like dumps before the axle, or something like that. For what it' s worth, I have the regular QTPs, with their catd' y-pipe, and a Borla with a QTEC. With my converter unlocked, after a tune, I made almost 320 RWHP, and almost 310RWTQ. I' ve read an article where they had HVMCs and the power was up less than 10 RWHP over mine. I don' t know the details of the vehicle, but maybe enough to give you an idea. This car was running an O/R QTP y-pipe and a cutout right after it.

I don' t think, with a FULL exhaust, your gains would be that different.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ynkssws6
What other mods do you have? How big of a cam? I see you have a 2000...might want to start with basic stuff like an ls6 intake or a pulley. Just MO though.
The plan would be...
LS6 intake, ported TB, and a pulley over the winter

Then for the early summer I'd be looking at the Futral FM13 (230/232 .595/.585)

Just wondering what the gains would be with all those mods and then switching to QTP HVMC and the QTP Y-Pipe with the Flowmaster Merge

I guess the basic question is.. Cam at the beginning of the summer, and then switch headers later if it doesn't make the power I want...... or do the Headers & Y-pipe and delay the cam.
(definitely leaning toward the Cam now, headers later)
Old 11-07-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have the HVMCs and the quality is great. I don't have the mods to get everything out of the headers but I'm sure once I get the cam and tune it will help out
Old 11-07-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Junkie

even though you will probably gain a few ponies from goin to QTP with HVMC, it is not worth it at the stage you are at. spend the money on a cam and valvetrain. if the car is an auto, do a stall.