Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best paper air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe some of you guys go back and forth so much about this. A different filter is not going to pick you up any more horsepower or make a difference at the track.

Go with what's easy, cheap, and simple: just get a paper Fram filter and be done with it. Leave your time worrying about power and speed to other, more important parts that you'll put on the car.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Donaldson is the best paper filter, but I had trouble finding replacements for the one I had bought after I got the blackwing, so I just bought a K&N
Old 11-14-2005, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coy
Donaldson is the best paper filter, but I had trouble finding replacements for the one I had bought after I got the blackwing, so I just bought a K&N
The new Amsoil Ea filters (#83 for our cars) was developed with Donaldson nanofiber technology, so it should be as good as the Donaldson. These are pricey (same $$ as a Powershot), but can be reused up to 100K+ and require NO kit/oils to clean/recharge (and gunk up your MAF). You just vacum or use compressed air to blow out the dirt.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:23 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Never heard of that, I wonder if they will have the same fitment as the donaldson, so you don't have to use the gasket (with the blackwing) like the K&N
Old 11-14-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive tried K&N, fram, purolator and stp.

and my conclusion is that as long as its paper, u cant go wrong.

and for those who wine about power increases.
its so marginal its practically unmeasurable.....
ill sacrifice 1-2hp for better filtration...
Old 11-14-2005, 05:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by DadsZ28
I was under the assumption from what ive read that a k&n filter flows no better than a paper filter even debated it with my buddy who insisted i try his new holley powershot filter. I went from 13.22 to 13.06 then 13.00 after putting it in between runs. Needless to say my buddy broke my ***** about it but i was happy. Also went from 106 to 107.4 trap speed. Guess im a believer that they work now.
A gain like that due to nothing more than an air filter swap is entirely possibile......if the paper filter you pulled out was clogged with dirt.

Only real way to test that would be with both filters being 100% fresh.

Problem is, many people have run the same test you did an seen 0 gains, so there is really no solid proof that the gains are due only to the filter, just not enough consistancy in the results from test to test.

Quick Reply: What is the best paper air filter?