Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 intake install and...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 intake install and...

Alright, my friend and I installed an ls6 intake on my car yesterday. After the install we checked for vacuum leaks etc. and took the car out for a libral test drive. Last night everything ran perfectly.
Today I take the car out and decide to get a little friendly with the throttle. The car screamed its head off all through first gear, however at about 5600 rpm in second gear the car felt like it fell on its face and immediately picked right back up. I immediately let off, and slowed down for the stop sign about a mile up. At the stop I notice my idles is signifigantly lower (from about 600rpm to 400rpm) and has caused the car to start chug and nearly die every time it stops. I limped her home and inspected everything under the hood carefully. It dosnt appear that anything has become unhooked.
Thats where you guys come in. I'm looking for anything i might need to check. We are planning on looking for any vacuum leaks that may have popped up. Also im in the middle of restarting the computer to see if it adjusted for the new mods and caused it. Mod list is below guys, thanks for any help.

1&7/8th" lts, Q-tec ORY, Lid, LS6 intake
Old 11-17-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update. After reconnecting the battery and starting the car everything idles smooth. I wont be able to take it out for a test drive until tomorrow morning but it sounds like a computer issue for sure. Anyone know what it will require, if indeed the computer is the problem, to fix?
Old 11-17-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

let IDLE without touching the throttle for 10-15 minutes. then drive it
Old 11-18-2005, 12:18 AM
Banned

i just did mine and everything went fine, altho i did set of a knock sensor code. but if codes are on will it effect your performance at all?
Old 11-18-2005, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are still throwing the knock sensor code, then of course it will effect performance. Activated knock sensor ---> changes in timing to prevent detonation ---> decreased performance.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:27 AM
10 Second Club

if its throwing a code for the knock sensors it will run like ***. Also turn the ac on in all options and youll be able to see if its a vaccum related problem. I didnt reset my computer and its ran fine ever since
Old 11-18-2005, 12:34 AM
Banned

cus all i think i did was pinched one of the knock sensor wires, and plan on fixing it tomrw, but as far as the EGR code that wont effect performance will it
Old 11-18-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LightEmUpLs1
cus all i think i did was pinched one of the knock sensor wires, and plan on fixing it tomrw, but as far as the EGR code that wont effect performance will it
Yes the code will effect performance. The computer will think something is wrong and attempt to fix it. I'm hoping I can track down what my problem is, I cant imagine needing tuning after just a couple basic bolt-ons.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

if its throwing a code for the knock sensors it will run like ***. Also turn the ac on in all options and youll be able to see if its a vaccum related problem. I didnt reset my computer and its ran fine ever since
never herd of turning on the ac what do you look for hen you do this?? whats the point??
Old 11-18-2005, 04:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

when i installed my ls6 intake i only gained 1rwhp, dyno proven. The car had been tuned previously with headers and all i did was add the ls6, after tuning i ended up gaining 10rwhp from the intake. Drastic change in airflow will effect the tune.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nikon1999
when i installed my ls6 intake i only gained 1rwhp, dyno proven. The car had been tuned previously with headers and all i did was add the ls6, after tuning i ended up gaining 10rwhp from the intake. Drastic change in airflow will effect the tune.
Did you have to richen up the fuel curves that much after the install? I just put mine and the ported TB on, and am wondering if I might need more fuel now.

Jason
Old 11-20-2005, 04:56 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe you should drill out your throttle body blade hole a little bigger. Are you cammed? and yes the knock sensor thing could have effect on it too. I was just saying this because I installed the FAST intake the other day and it was doing the same thing. Funny thing is that I didnt put in the maf sensor and the lid sensor, and it held Idle and drove fine....That creeped me out. But try that as a last resort if the knock is good.