Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternator dead ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 07:41 AM
TOZ
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation alternator dead ???

I think my alternator went out. But I`m not 100% sure yet. I started the car today and started to loose power, lights went out and started to run super Rich but it was still running.
Turned it off and wouldn`t start back up, typical dead battery. I went a head and recharged the battery and it held the charge, no problem everything works fine, but my volt gauge markes below 13 and it wont move after I rev. I checked the battery with the multimeter to see if there was a charge from the alternator when I rev, but there is no movement, just from 12.15 to 12.17v.
Now the reason i wonder is because the car only has 15k miles on it. it is a weekend car. The night before I turned the heater on and I smelled a funny but not typical heater smell of something burning.
I went down and checked all the wires to the alternator and they all seem to look fine, havent checked the weatherstrip connector yet. I wonder if maybe there is a fuse in between the alt and the battery that could probably got burn.
Any ideas ? Before I take the alt off. ?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:52 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Sure -sounds- like an alt. Before I yanked it out I would
pull the battery, charge it fully, take it to Advance or
such and have them do a load test on the battery, esp.
if you're still on the stock battery.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:05 AM
TOZ
On The Tree

Battery held charge pretty good, I got underneat and pulled the weatherstrip out and saw corrotion all over the Terminals on the alt.
I remembered I had extended warranty so I pull it out and checked it for alternators and it covers it. I just took the car to the dealer and they are gonna put me a new one.
So `im just gonna let them do it since is free and forget about it.
Thanks.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

well that works. a dealership actually covering something in a warranty. wow