Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I use JB Weld on exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I use JB Weld on exhaust

I just got my pacesetter lt's and ory with hooker exhaust installed on sat. I put it all together but the things leaks like hell. I have made sure the header gaskets are good and the leak isn't at the header it is all over the y-pipe it only does it when motor is under load. Loud ticking sound driving me nuts. My question is since I have everything clamped together can i use JB weld on the connections to seal everything up. It would be much easier to just spread some of that at the connection points where the pipe's meet instead of paying 100 bucks to have the system welded. Has anyone ever done this before and if so did it work good for you? I need a quick fix cause I can't stand the ticking the exhaust sounds so nice though now so I do enjoy that.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Banned

JB weld is only rated to around 500-600° F, anything more and it will crack apart
Old 12-05-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think some people use the hi-temp rtv sealant. My duals leak pretty bad too but I'm just going to have it all welded up.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:47 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have it welded. JB Weld ain't gonna cut it. It is a brittle epoxy that will not withstand those conditions.

Quick Reply: Can I use JB Weld on exhaust