Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynomax vs. Flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Dynomax vs. Flowmaster

I have my 99 ta and i want a nice deep sounding classic muscle car tone for it by only replaceing the muffler for now. I dont have the money for a full exhaust system. I looked at a dynomax turbo muffler which sounded great but there were no prices. Which do u think sounds better for the classic throaty sound a dynomax turbo muffler or a flowmaster 80 seiries muffler. Which is loudest?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coxta
I have my 99 ta and i want a nice deep sounding classic muscle car tone for it by only replaceing the muffler for now. I dont have the money for a full exhaust system. I looked at a dynomax turbo muffler which sounded great but there were no prices. Which do u think sounds better for the classic throaty sound a dynomax turbo muffler or a flowmaster 80 seiries muffler. Which is loudest?
I'm not familiar with the Dynomax turbo muffler but I can tell you about what is commonly referred to as "dynomouth".

The Dynomax bullet race muffler is available from Jegs for about $40. You buy the bullet muffler and take it to an exhaust shop local to you. You pay them to remove the stock muffler and fab a regular pipe where it used to be. Then they weld in your 12" dynomax bullet race muffler in the I-pipe just behind the axel. Stock pipes are 2.75", stainless steel and mandrel press bent so the HP gains are in line with the highest flowing catbacks. Most shops will charge around $100 for the labor.

So for $140 you now have what looks like a loudmouth catback setup except your using stock pipes and tips. You can expect to gain 8-12 rwhp and the car will sound awesome. It's deep, throaty and loud as hell at WoT.

The flowmaster muffler sounds good but they flow for crap. You may as well pick up some HP while your at it so I say avoid flowmaster.

Good luck
Old 12-12-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, darrensls1, i think thats what im going to do. I have had another guy tell me the exact same thing to do on another site and thats right in my pricerange.

Anyone else have anything to add?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

I like FLOWMASTER for the OLD-SCHOOL sound myself.When people with old musclecars start saying it sounds good,I gotta believe a couple of hp loss is worth it.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the flowmaster and I don't like the inside resonance I get with it. I was looking toward the Hooker mufflers. I don't know anyone with a dynamax.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go to LS1Sounds.com and decide for yourself
Old 12-12-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ls1sounds.com is a good place to see what YOU like
Old 12-12-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I thanks for the site. its good.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I depends what flowmaster you get, usually people use the 80 series on these cars since they work in the original location, but if you can get a 40 series, and even easier a race muffler in the i-pipe they will flow well, my exhaust is 3inches back from the headers all the way to the y that was made for my tips (each tip pipe is 2 1/2) and i have a 12inch bullet in the i-pipe, given i didnt have this set-up on manifolds it sounds awesome, resembles the sound of a mustang to me and those things sound good