Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Really Need an Xpipe or Hpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 04:15 PM
dug
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thGenCamaro
Just run headers, then extensions, then mufflers, then dumps. It is proven to work just as well, if not better than a X or H pipe. I got rid of my duals and X pipe, and am running stepped headers, mufflers, then dumps. No X or H. JMO
Thats what I am planning on doing.

I heard some soundclips with open headers. I love the sound. I hope the borla mufflers tone it down enough to be livable.

Theyre 4.5" x 12" 7.85" with 3.5" i/o
Old 12-15-2005, 01:59 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 777
With a PROPERLY designed exhaust system with a proper x-crossover. The exhaust will make more power due to velocity than an exhaust with no crossover. Plus it sounds better and equals out the pressure.
ding ding ding! we have a winner!
Old 12-15-2005, 09:14 AM
dug
Banned

Dont get me wrong, I love the xpipe sound and think it could help power. I dont think it will be practical about ground clearance. Some pipes mufflers and dumps is just much easier. As long as it dont have the ypipe rasp.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dug
Dont get me wrong, I love the xpipe sound and think it could help power. I dont think it will be practical about ground clearance. Some pipes mufflers and dumps is just much easier. As long as it dont have the ypipe rasp.
AAARRRRRRHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you been reading....

A Y pipe does NOT give rasp. PERIOD. the whole setup will contribute to the sound.

Also a 2.5" X pipe funnily enough will give you the same ground clearance as a 2.5" straight pipe. You see the are both 2.5" in diameter the thus the same size.

HEADER - - - - -MUFFLER - DUMP
\ /
X-Pipe
/ \
HEADER - - - - - MUFFLER - DUMP
Old 12-15-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey 300, you can tuck straight pipe higher than x pipe due to the x can only go so high before it hits torque arm

and y pipes raise the tone of the exhaust to a higher tone which makes the rasp louder and more noticeable
Old 12-15-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4thGenCamaro
Just run headers, then extensions, then mufflers, then dumps. It is proven to work just as well, if not better than a X or H pipe. I got rid of my duals and X pipe, and am running stepped headers, mufflers, then dumps. No X or H. JMO
I'd love to hear a clip of that setup. I bet it sounds awesome!