Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Dual V.S. ORY 3''

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Yes I have heard it, and thought (as did all other people after that person drives away), that it sounds like hell. Heard a few cars with this setup, and even setups close to it. EVEN with different mufflers, sound the same IMO. Maby i'm spoiled? Only y-pipe car with headers that i've really liked was a TA with open borla, maby just because it had a MS3 in it

Are you sure you just dont work out alot?

Everyone has different tastes. Just the same as I would never put blackout tail light covers on a car, some people think they look great.
Oh ok, haha sorry didnt mean to come across as a dick or anything, just I have heard too many people say the LM sounds horrible, and 99% of them have never heard it, they just go with what they see posted. Yea I really enjoy loud, and I love the attention the Lm gets, but not everyone likes a really loud raspy exhaust. My buddy has a tr224, hooker headers, and open plate borla and it sounds mean, but I think it lacks an agressive tone at idle and crusing. Also, I agree true duals is the way to go, especially if you get them run out the back. Then add a cam and they sing. I wish i had originally gone true duals but I got such a good deal on the LM that I couldnt pass it up. Im installing an FM13 in the spring/summer so my opinion on the headers, gutted cat y-pipe, and lm might change, but for right now I love my setup. Yea I feel you on the blackouts, i dont think the camaros or trans ams need anything like that as they a re styled so well to begin with, I just think it adds more clutter to the body lines.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Russick
Hmmm. The LTs, Y-pipe and BorlaMouth sound pretty good and have flowed 576rwhp for me so far. I also like having the exhaust come out the back, so the small HP gain wouldn't be worth dumping the exhaust under the car.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DansRedz28
lol my friend only picked up 7whp with true duwls going from Pacesetter Lt,3'TSP ORY,magnaflow cat back to TSP true duwls
thats it i don't think 7 rwhp is wroth it being dumped under the car, it would be just to loud inside the. i'm doing LS6 and a MS3 cam you think i would get more power if i did the duals???
Old 12-16-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno I think youd see more than 7rwhp with duals over a y-pipe/catback setup. Most y-pipe results are through dual open cutouts, and there is even a thread which shows the bassani true duals, which are run out the back so you wouldnt have to worry about the resonance under the car, gaining almost 15 rwhp simply switching to the true duals over a catback. I believe it was with longtubes, but stock internally, so id imagine a setup with an ls6 intake, longtubes, and a big cam like an ms3 would gain more than 7 rwhp, thats just what ive seen though.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

from everything i've seen, even if the gain is only 7rwhp, there's a lot more TQ and some HP under the curve.

btw, i'm switching over to duals soon from an ORY/Cut-out, so i'll let you know if they're all blowing smoke up your ***
Old 12-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Originally Posted by konryod215
thats it i don't think 7 rwhp is wroth it being dumped under the car, it would be just to loud inside the. i'm doing LS6 and a MS3 cam you think i would get more power if i did the duals???
You dont understand. Either setup is going to be damn loud, but the ORY + LM setup is going to have unbearable rasp, drone, and resonance inside the car. The dumped duals would be quiet compared to the hell you'd go through with that setup.

Now there are a few out there that like the ORY + LM setup, but the majority you'll find (especially those that have heard it in person) will testify that it sounds like utter ***. Loud, but shitty sounding (ricers and their bumble bee exhausts can be loud too, but that doesnt = good sound). Duals sound good, and depending on your muffler choice, interior noise isn't bad at all, even with it dumped under the car.

Make an educated decision. Exiting out the back doesn't mean good sound and little interior noise. And dumping under the car doesn't mean bad sound and loud interior noise. I've had multiple girls from your tomboys to your pretty foo-foo girls who wear pearl earrings and dont have jobs because daddy pays for everything ride in my car with a cam and dumped duals and never had a single one complaint about the sound. They are quite fond of the sound actually.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by konryod215

Whoever said that you can't have duals all the way back?!?! you also have to remember that is peak hp, I'm sure the avg hp and avg tq would see very good gains. If you are doing cam and heads then you are going to be getting way more air in and are going to need to move that air out. TD's are going to compliment those mods very well. By the way, use the search... I think this question has been answered numerous times.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:03 PM
Teching In

true duals will definitely flow a lil better and sound better. but if you ever wanna go turbo you will have to y pipe it again, thats the only reason im y-piping mine, i have a decatted y and a borla-mouth set up on it and it doesnt sound bad, a lil whiney in the 3000 range but i pass that up in a heartbeat so its a matter of opinion on sound i think. and on my old lt1 the loudmouth 1 sounded great... its really a matter of what you wanna do.

Quick Reply: True Dual V.S. ORY 3''