Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience/Opinions on air intake please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience/Opinions on air intake please!

My gf is getting me a Volant intake for Christmas, and I'm planning to remove the baffles inside the hood and have a question-
If I took it a step further and removed the honeycomb grills and replaced them w/ the nostril corner pieces from the BGRA,(pic below) would I have problems in the rain or with debris (rocks and such) ruining my filter?
I searced and found that alot of guys debaffle the hood w/ no problems, but they all had the honeycomb grill still in place.
Please give your $.02, all opinions welcome
Attached Thumbnails Experience/Opinions on air intake please!-bgra1.jpg  

Last edited by JBIRD02; 12-17-2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:00 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

I had my grills removed for a while on my WS6 (also had the full BGRA kit). I never drove that car in the rain though, and I wasn't using the Volant kit (just a basic lid).

Nothing ever got damaged, but I would have to pluck a feather or two off the underside of the air filter from time to time. I put the grills back on though because I liked the look better that way, looked more 'finished'.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I had my grills removed for a while on my WS6 (also had the full BGRA kit). I never drove that car in the rain though, and I wasn't using the Volant kit (just a basic lid).

Nothing ever got damaged, but I would have to pluck a feather or two off the underside of the air filter from time to time. I put the grills back on though because I liked the look better that way, looked more 'finished'.
Feathers?? wow!! I hope my intake is strong enough to suck up some birds!
thanks for the reply
Old 12-17-2005, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Off topic but I hit a bird one time in my old SS at about 90 (went in under the air dam and smacked the radiator). When I popped the hood it was like a cartoon. Nothin but feathers eveywhere.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

I have the baffles out and the corner pieces as well. I just have a lid and have no problems as the water would have to go up to get into the filter and beyond, with the volant intake the filter is round and more prone to water. It probably wouldn't get wet but after you take your baffles out you really can't put them back in. I would say just have her get you a lid and a filter, you will see about the same amount of power, and save her some money.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

The Volant is much sexier than a lid.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cenTX-LS1
Off topic but I hit a bird one time in my old SS at about 90 (went in under the air dam and smacked the radiator). When I popped the hood it was like a cartoon. Nothin but feathers eveywhere.

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
I have the baffles out and the corner pieces as well. I just have a lid and have no problems as the water would have to go up to get into the filter and beyond, with the volant intake the filter is round and more prone to water. It probably wouldn't get wet but after you take your baffles out you really can't put them back in. I would say just have her get you a lid and a filter, you will see about the same amount of power, and save her some money.
Thanks. I've got a lid and K&N now, but really want something that seals to the hood, and since the BGRA is no longer available, this is my only option. I know that it wont show much over a lid on a dyno, but with a straight shot of air to the filter, I think I'll pick up some hp at highway speed. I might just have to skip the corner piece idea