Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust

sup guys? i was thinking on a stock LS1 can i just go true duals straight off the bat with stock headers...XR1 Mufflers with a Summit Racing Universal X pipe..extended out the back
Old 12-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go get 'em tiger!

And if by "stock headers" you mean the stock exhaust manifolds, I wouldn't personally do it. I'd do it off of some long tubes though.

Definitely don't think going over the axle is a trivial task either...look around on here. This topic has been beaten to death every other day...
Old 12-21-2005, 11:56 AM
Teching In

my friend would like to do it off some longtubes but he is kind of limited on the cash so hes not going to touch the headers
Old 12-21-2005, 12:02 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Hmmmmmmmmmm...why are you set on true duals? What are your goals? Duals are nice and all, but most people really don't need them...there are lots of great y-pipe catbacks out there.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

I too would do longtubes before the duals. Reason being that you will eventually want longtubes and then you'll have to hack up your exhaust to acommodate your new headers. Plus, it'll sound a whole lot meaner with the longtubes than the stock manifolds.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Teching In

well he likes XR1's and the Borla Exhaust but thats pretty expensive so he thought of this alternate as a cheaper way to go but still a good exhaust setup..i dont think he plans on getting Long Tubes because he doesn't have want to heavily mod his car and his parents would destroy him haha
Old 12-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Honestly, it sounds like he wants it just to say he has duals. If he's worried about his parents killing him, he probably doesn't need to be doing it anyways. A good old fashioned cat-back exhaust would be more up his alley. If he likes the borla sound, tell him to get the SLP Loudmouth, and replace the resonator in the I-pipe with a Borla XR-1...that way, he only has to buy 1 muffler (cuz XR1s are NOT cheap), and he'll have an exhaust that sounds really good.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:28 PM
Teching In

so your saying to buy a loud mouth and replace the muffler with a XR1, thats even more expensive then to go with his idea on the true duals plus i might as well get a system fab'd up from the exhaust shop for cheaper then to buy a hole system and then replace the muffler with a different one
Old 12-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Do some shopping around...there are usually people trying to sell their Loudmouths.

And I don't see how it would be more expensive than doing true duals over the axle unless the build quality isn't up to snuff. It is more difficult to do than it looks, unless you remove the upper panhard brace, which just isn't smart in my head.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DarknessArises
well he likes XR1's and the Borla Exhaust but thats pretty expensive so he thought of this alternate as a cheaper way to go but still a good exhaust setup..i dont think he plans on getting Long Tubes because he doesn't have want to heavily mod his car and his parents would destroy him haha

Best thing to do is set your price range and then search the forums and the sponsers, you should be able to find the setup he wants or something very similar. Good luck
Old 12-21-2005, 11:50 PM
Launching!

I have true duals using the stock manifolds, stock cats., (in their stock location) with both pipes, 2 1/2 inchers , going down the passanger side, then going over the axle then through two straight through, noise cancelling mufflers, one located on each side of the rear tub, and exiting out the rear from beneath the bumper in the stock location. I picked up 5% in horsepower (that's about 15 horsepower over that stupid "Y" pipe system) and I have more ground clearance than I had with that stupid "Y" pipe. With the straight through, noise cancelling mufflers, the loudness is not present but that muscle car sound is. A true dual exhaust system is the only way to do an exhaust system. I suggest that you get with and talk to your muffler shop guy. With a little planning and thought, you can build the perfect true dual exhaust system for your car and it won't cost you an arm and a leg. The cost will probably be just a little bit more than you would pay for a new "Y" pipe system. By using your stock manifolds, leaving the cats. in their stock location, running the pipes as I suggested and using the straight through, noise cancelling mufflers as I suggested, your car will be street legal in any and all states. With all of that going for you, what more could one ask for in an exhaust system?
Old 12-22-2005, 12:00 AM
Teching In

haha you sound like a sales man..your good...but i love sound and it doesn't matter for emissions or legal i have my guy to pass inspection for us so it isn't a problem