Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks LT Headers with Video Clips (2005 GTO)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 10:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kooks LT Headers with Video Clips (2005 GTO)

Kooks LT Headers with Video Clips (2005 GTO)

I installed my Kooks headers Christmas day (with my dad)... Everything (for the most part) went as smooth as butter. The only minor problems I had were the power steering lines (which I had to disconnect, no biggie) the problem was trying to get them back on... Since they are rigid it was very hard to get the lines back up and screw into place. It took me and my dad 30 agonizing minutes to put them back on! The only other problem I ran into were the front O2 sensors... Those B!TCHE$ were on there! I ended up goofing the thread up a bit getting them off, but they threaded on the Kooks headers just fine... Oh ya and I almost forgot.... I had a hard time finding a place to buy ATF for the PS... I ended up getting it at Walgreen's... Who would of thought?

The whole install took us about 8 hours... (at least 3 of those hours were us taking breaks or eating X-mas dinner. If we were to do it again I am confident that we could get it done in 3.5hrs...

When installing I used all the old gaskets (The headers gaskets and the catback-midpipe gasket). The stock header gaskets are made out of aluminum vs the kooks gaskets which are made out of felt and a thin metal in the middle... The kooks catback gasket was a cheap paper one so I just used the old one... (I think the old one came with my Magnaflow catback...)

Other than those few minor problems the install was a cinch! On a difficulty scale from 1-5 I would give it a 2... Anyone who knows a little about there engine/(and steering in this case) will very easily be able to install these. Don't waste $400-500 by letting someone else do them for you!

Now to the important part... FITMENT! Well.... hmmmm.... How do I say this? They fit PERFECT! So perfect that they could have come stock this way! No need t manipulate or change anything to get them to fit... no rubbing at all! Not even close! there is tons of clearance for the steering (which has been a problem in a companies headers that I will not name.) It is truly a bolt-on system for the novice!

And to the part you have all been waiting for! The SOUND! Well quite simply stated, IT IS AMAZING! And you can hear for yourself!

At stock it was it was 1X loud

with the magnaflow catback it was 2X as loud

With the Kooks LT's it was 4X as loud and a hell of a lot meaner! I would compare it to Nascar!

Here is the video of the magnaflow catback alone and magnaflow catback and the Kooks LT Headers: (they are both on the same page... Just click both links... DONT cheat listen to the magnaflow catback first... MAKE SURE you turn up those speakers!)

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/talsma/gt...ultimedia.html

Tell me what you think?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that with the First vid I reved to 4400RPM one time

On the second vid I reved to 4000RPM...

Also here they are before they went on: (I got the new 2005 mid-pipes)

Also want to let you guys know I used the Dynatech install instuctions...

Found HERE: http://web.tampabay.rr.com/talsma/gt...es/diy/engine/
Old 12-26-2005, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

A little more raspy, but it sounds good
Old 12-27-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is that whirring/whistling sound? Sounds good though.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
That is the stock intake making that whistle sound... It bugs the hell outta me! It is present on most/all GTO's I have heard.

I am hoping an aftermarket CAI will resolve this problem...
Old 12-27-2005, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
air pump?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wakerider017
I had a hard time finding a place to buy ATF for the PS...
Why did you put ATF in the power steering?
Old 12-27-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudmouthLT1
Not sure why this dude did it but my mom's lexus needs the same thing. It's so friggin weird. Caused the failure of 4 power steering pumps before the people at the shop realized it needed ATF instead of PS fluid.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LoudmouthLT1
Thats what it requires... Dont ask me... I am not an engineer...