Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Headers...Maxxed out??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 02:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP Headers...Maxxed out??

I tried searching, but my work computer sux ****....

I've got the SLP LT's w/ their Y and RT cats..

Is this true?? Do they "Out flow"? I've heard that they MAX out around 400hp w/ a cam..
Old 01-02-2006, 06:35 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much so.

It's not so much that they're "maxed out" as much as they're not making as much hp as other LT's would at that power level.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:08 AM
TECH Veteran

damn.

I don't fel like dishing out for another set of headers. These aren't even a year old. This is what happens when you don't do your research properly.

I've settled on the QTP's w/ the dual cutout Y. I don't feel like re-installing them either. Well, if I do.... I'll do the motor mounts at the same time.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:22 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The good:
You will gain hp with the QTP HVMC LT's over the SLP's (I did the exact swap); dyno results and low/mid response picked up/ improved SOTP.
QTP's tuck up real high at the collector.
The QTP's slide right in for an easy install.
The Dual cutout Y flows very well and is a great novelty.

The bad:
You have to take out those MF'ing SLP LT's (tranny prying again).
The dual cutout Y isn't the greatest for ground clearance, but is actually a small improvement over what you have right now.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

...anything is an imporvement over the SLP LT ground clearance....

I'm going to pull the engine to do my head/cam swap to make it easier to change rod bolts, so after we pull the engine, it'll be a snap to yank out the SLPs... + I want a look at the Main Caps and bearings...
Old 01-02-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Yep... as soon as I installed the LT's and the cat, (did it myself) I looked at it...... stared..... said... WTF? Did I put that on right??

That Y hangs LOW as h3ll! It seems like they could have angled the individual tubes up a BIT more. the collector clearance isn't what get's me. It's that damn Y-pipe!.. I scrape that fawker more than anything!

They've been on the car for almost a year and I've been consistantly driving it for about 6 months now and some times I scrape and right when I notice........... Hmm, that driveway looks a little.........CRUNCH! DAMN IT! It looks like **** hanging all low, too! My last car had a problem w/ a sagging exh that I couldn't do anything about... DOne w/ that ****!!
Old 01-02-2006, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know what everyone complains about i have had my SLP headers and y on for 65k miles and Rarely ever have any problems with clearance, but my car is at stock ride height

I do plan to swap out the SLP to go with the new QTP set up in the near future as they are a great quality set up and make power
Old 01-02-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have stock suspension, and look at this scape on it. Look, I'm practically an SLP poster boy, but the LT headers hang way lower that anyone else's; They're better than stock, MIDs, and un-tuned headers for power, but the list of limitations for SLP LT's is way longer the list of advantages. I know, I've had them a while. There are bunch of former SLP LT owners who'll back me up on this...
Attached Thumbnails SLP Headers...Maxxed out??-header_bash.jpg  
Old 01-03-2006, 02:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by thechef
I do plan to swap out the SLP to go with the new QTP set up in the near future as they are a great quality set up and make power
Same here. I'm about sold on the QTP LT's w/ the dual cutout y-pipe.. I had my car tuned by you guys early last year! Thanx! -CTFBA

Originally Posted by FUN LS1
I have stock suspension, and look at this scape on it. Look, I'm practically an SLP poster boy, but the LT headers hang way lower that anyone else's; They're better than stock, MIDs, and un-tuned headers for power, but the list of limitations for SLP LT's is way longer the list of advantages. I know, I've had them a while. There are bunch of former SLP LT owners who'll back me up on this...
Mine's scraped in the same spot. The pass side header has that one primary that seems to lower the whole thing. That's prolly why I can't get my collectors to stop leaking.

We're running the same #'s man! Kewl! Like I just said. I'm gettin the QTP's when I have the EXTRA $$$ to throw around. I'll join that board.