Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Kooks or QTP's w/HVMC?
QTP's
75.19%
Kooks
24.81%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

QTP w/HVMC or Kooks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i went with kooks, there headers fit like a glove and there y pipe doesn't affect my ground clearance.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Do either of these headers provide better ground clearance over the other? I have SLP LT's right now and I scrape my headers (not the Y) on just about anything (the car is dropped an inch). I hate the SLPs and need to get something better. Basically the ground clearance between the two will be my deciding factor. I am going with custom TDs, so I don't care about a Y pipe.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:32 PM
Teching In

I heard QTP's y pipe is really low and scrapes on lowered cars, not sure if you can use a kooks y pipe on it. KOOKS I read that they are good all around for ground clearance.

not sure what I am gettting yet. I have 1500.00 , and not sure what to get....
Old 04-26-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

I've been seeing posts about y-pipes for these for the longest time. Both kooks and QTP build great quality headers, but neither do you any good if you can't use their y-pipe. The QTP one looks like you have about 3" clearence from what Ive seen in pictures, and the kooks y, while rumored to be good, is very difficult to come by. BOTH SPONSORS HAVE COMPLETELY DROPPED THE BALL ON THIS ONE! I may wait a few more months, and just say screw it and get macs or something.
I would say buy Kooks if you can get the Y pipe. DO NOT but QTP!!!! Although they are a good header, they dont do you much good sitting in the garage, since you can't use them without the Y-Pipe. The QTP Y pipe is not streetable from everything I have ever read on this forum.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a QTP catted y on my car, ad I have never once bottomed out the Y. The spohn crossmember that is shimmed down to clear the Y, that's a different story, that hits lots of ****. the Y itself isn't that bad though. If you have a lowered car, you're in for a rough time period IMO
Old 05-02-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gotta say this, the Kooks headers are sweet, no doubt about that. The Y pipe itself is bent wrong and whacks the hell out of the floor making all kinds of embarassing noise and setting off the knock sensor cutting back timing and killing power. I've had to cut and modifiy the Y pipe on the passenger side to get it to actually fit the header, then crush the driver side of the Y pipe in a vice about a half inch and add poly motor mounts to get the ****** thing to stop hitting the floor. The welds look nice though. About the stainless Y pipe, great. Now you get a poorly bent very expensive piece of pipe that won't rust.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

I feel the need to clarify something, I do actually own these headers. They're on my car right now. This is not just regurgitated second hand information that i read some where. Maybe my case is uncommon, maybe not, but for damn near a thousand bucks for a pair of headers and a Y pipe, the **** should fit right the first time around. The Y pipe should not have to come off 4 times before the damn thing fits right.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I have a QTP catted y on my car, ad I have never once bottomed out the Y. The spohn crossmember that is shimmed down to clear the Y, that's a different story, that hits lots of ****. the Y itself isn't that bad though. If you have a lowered car, you're in for a rough time period IMO
I have pics of how low the QTP Y pipe is but I haven't bottomed out either. My car isn't lowered and it never will be.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Old 05-03-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

if u could i would go with kooks... qtp has been so bad for me... maybe its just this last batch but there have been so many things wrong with it... i.e. header bolt holes not aligned right, fitment issues unless u have a lift... y pipe real low, air and egr tube ports were not in the right spots... so much hassle. we have been installing it since sunday for 4 hours a day and its still not done...
Old 05-10-2006, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tonydepo1
I heard QTP's y pipe is really low and scrapes on lowered cars, not sure if you can use a kooks y pipe on it. KOOKS I read that they are good all around for ground clearance.

not sure what I am gettting yet. I have 1500.00 , and not sure what to get....
I'm in the same boat as you! Both are said to be great systems. Still can't make up my mind! I've been analyzing both for over a year now! I've had the $$$ to buy either one but still can't decide! Doesn't help that I take forever to make up my mind. Took me almost a year to go with the GMMG exhaust. I want something to complement this exhaust nicely, is stainless steel, and will give me the clearance I desire.
SOMEBODY make up my mind for me! I want headers so bad! I already know the next mod is a cam.... but I need to decide on headers first and get them on there!
Old 05-10-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The_Snyper
I'm in the same boat as you! Both are said to be great systems. Still can't make up my mind! I've been analyzing both for over a year now! I've had the $$$ to buy either one but still can't decide! Doesn't help that I take forever to make up my mind. Took me almost a year to go with the GMMG exhaust. I want something to complement this exhaust nicely, is stainless steel, and will give me the clearance I desire.
SOMEBODY make up my mind for me! I want headers so bad! I already know the next mod is a cam.... but I need to decide on headers first and get them on there!
Let the poll make up your mind for you! It's unanimous....QTP's for the win! Kooks are great headers, but HVMC's and cheaper prices give the QTP's the edge.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:47 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Let the poll make up your mind for you! It's unanimous....QTP's for the win! Kooks are great headers, but HVMC's and cheaper prices give the QTP's the edge.
As much as I've supported QTP's in the past, I'm going to have to raise a flag considering the number of #1 primary tubes rubbing the steering shaft I've seen. It seems like they decided to offer the HVMC's at no extra cost, got flooded with orders, kicked their production into hyperspeed, and the quality dropped.

I hope they are aware of this issue and get things sorted out, as well as make things right for people who are having problems.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
As much as I've supported QTP's in the past, I'm going to have to raise a flag considering the number of #1 primary tubes rubbing the steering shaft I've seen. It seems like they decided to offer the HVMC's at no extra cost, got flooded with orders, kicked their production into hyperspeed, and the quality dropped.

I hope they are aware of this issue and get things sorted out, as well as make things right for people who are having problems.

Is this with the 1 3/4 or the 1 7/8's?
Old 05-10-2006, 02:19 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Is this with the 1 3/4 or the 1 7/8's?
1-3/4"
Old 05-10-2006, 02:22 AM
TECH Addict

1-3/4"

My bad....too late for me to be posting! I was thinking Kooks.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

I have to disagree with you on this. I have only seen like 2-3 people have this issue on the internet. I know of about 12-15 people locally that have the new hvmc headers and none have any issues including myself. There was one guy that had an issue but they found out the car had some frame damage. So clearance was a little tighter. Have you seen the header itself, its amazing looking so the quality got better IMHO. So dont think the quailty dropped because a problem with a few cars.