Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine oil leak - typical?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine oil leak - typical?

I can't seem to find any info as to whether this is out of the ordinary. I recently got a 2000 LS1 with 80k miles on it and the oil pan looked like it was leaking. So I carefully tightened each bolt maybe a ¼ turn. Also the oil filter was a little loose. I cleaned up the pan and drove for a day. Now it looks like the source of the leak is above in the starter area. Anyone have an idea what may be leaking. I have not acquired a manual yet to know for sure.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1's, as far as I know, are not prone to oil leaks like the LT1's could be (rear of intake/valley cover, I believe). If someone had the engine out of the car for any internal work, it could be many things....most of 'em due to alignment problems between oil pan and rear cover. The LS series (don't quote me on LS7) does not, to my knowledge, have locating dowels anywhere on the engine. Lining up the rear of oil pan with the rear cover is somewhat touchy. I think the pan has to align within .020" of the rear cover without overhanging the rear cover to be correct.

The rear main seal is supposed to be a pretty damn good design, and not prone to leakage. I wish I could give you an area to zero in on, but I've just never heard of oil leakage problems on the LS-series of engines.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

all the gm gen 3 engines have oil "weepage" as gm calls it. always around the front and rear cover areas and the oil pan. see this all the time at work, very normal. just keep an eye on it. if it becomes a drip then i would fix it!
Old 01-18-2006, 05:06 AM
Teching In

I do leave a few drips on the floor. I may have to remove the starter to chase that drip.

Do you have to jack the engine up to pull the oil pan? Who has got the best deal on on the GM service manuals?
Old 01-18-2006, 05:42 AM
12 Second Club

Now it looks like the source of the leak is above in the starter area
ive got some oil leakage somewhere too. no drip but it is smudged on my starter too and the back of the block and some on the converter cover. i was told it might be the intake so good time for an upgrade. If you find exactly where its coming from post it cuz im in the same boat.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z28convert
ive got some oil leakage somewhere too. no drip but it is smudged on my starter too and the back of the block and some on the converter cover. i was told it might be the intake so good time for an upgrade. If you find exactly where its coming from post it cuz im in the same boat.
That pretty much describes where mine is leaking except mine drips. I thought the LSx engines don't leak from the intake like the LTx engines . I would rather deal with repalcing the intake gasket than the oil pan anyway.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More than likely it's a valve cover.

My car did something simular, I found that it came from the factory with a twisted valvecover gasket, just took a few miles for it to start leaking.

Since I replaced the gasket, haven't had a problem since.

You can check the gasket by pulling the valve cover. The gasket is rubber "o ring" around the edge of the cover.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
More than likely it's a valve cover.

My car did something simular, I found that it came from the factory with a twisted valvecover gasket, just took a few miles for it to start leaking.

Since I replaced the gasket, haven't had a problem since.

You can check the gasket by pulling the valve cover. The gasket is rubber "o ring" around the edge of the cover.
Right! I got the car on the lift tonight and I felt back there on the drivers side and sure enough the valve cover is leaking. I could not get to the passenger side but I asssume that it is leaking too.

Is it best to get the GM gaskets or are the ones from the local parts store OK?
Old 01-18-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LT4Vette
Right! I got the car on the lift tonight and I felt back there on the drivers side and sure enough the valve cover is leaking. I could not get to the passenger side but I asssume that it is leaking too.

Is it best to get the GM gaskets or are the ones from the local parts store OK?
I paid ~$7 a piece for them about 2 years ago. It's possible to reuse the stock gaskets if you have the patience. It's basically a big valve cover shaped o-ring.

Last edited by WILWAXU; 01-18-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

I have done a cam swap and have had the slight leak for yearsnow, but never have had add oil between oil changes. It seems to be more in the area of the bottom right corner just above were the oil pan bolts up. When I put the long tubes on I didnt see any oil coming down the side so not sure were it is coming from yet. Seems like after I swaped my cam it stoped for some time but it's there now.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Holy sh....... My buddy has a 98Z with very minor oil leak that sprays so few amount when running that it is no worry. If it was the valve cover gasket you would probably smell burnt oil. My advice would be unless it actually leaks when cold then just keep an eye on it......
Old 01-29-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01Wickedwench
Holy sh....... My buddy has a 98Z with very minor oil leak that sprays so few amount when running that it is no worry. If it was the valve cover gasket you would probably smell burnt oil. My advice would be unless it actually leaks when cold then just keep an eye on it......
Not if the leak is in on the back of the head My leak never touched the headers, but it did leave alot of oil on the side of the motor.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:49 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It is the valve cover, my car does the same thing, I'm just too lazy to change it, and I bought the parts a month ago.

There is not enough of a leak on mine to even really notice YET.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

Did a search and found this issue.

My 98 Z28 (13k miles) is dripping oil onto the garage floor from the passenger side of the engine bay. Can't seem to find any residue though.

Still look for valve cover leak? The leak is getting worse...
Old 04-23-2022, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Replying to LT4Vette's original post and his statement: "it looks like the source of the leak is above the starter area".

A leak detected above the starter and dripping down off the start motor & mounting bolts...that's from a leaking crank position sensor. it's o-ring has failed. GM has no part# for (and doesn't provide) a replacement o-ring. The entire sensor must be replaced...and good luck if you elect to try a cheap aftermarket sensor because the original GM and AC Delco replacements are so pricey. Aftermarket crank & cam position sensors are as bad as aftermarket knock sensors as far as whether they'll even work, or how long if they work at all. A less known (and far less costly) alternative is to replace just the o-ring seals on the crank sensor. But that 0-ring is a weird size and special material, so difficult to find. You don't just go to the auto parts store and get one. Here's a source for this o-ring that has excellent reviews:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17397410128...MAAOSw5SRfFbVI