Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should i reuse my header gaskets
Yes
71.11%
No
28.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Should i reuse my stock metal header gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 03:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KilerTA
Well as you can see should i reuse my header gasket over again or get a new one?
You needed to start a poll for this?????????????????????

Do you also need people to tell you when you can eat or go to the toilet??

Sorry not meaning to rip the ****, but you should really be able to answer this yourself.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:13 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
I agree that its inexpensive piece of mind, but why spend money if you dont have to. Most of the gaskets on the LS1 are meant to be reused. Thats why there's engineered silicone gaskets instead of the old fashioned ones in the 98 ls1s. I feel the same thinking went in with teh MLS exhaust gaskets. Even if he does get a leak with the reused MLS gasket, what does it take, 20 minutes to pull the plug wires, remove the 6 bolts per side, slide out the old gasket and slide in the new ones? It dosnt require removing the headers by any stretch IMHO.
After you've already spent hundreds of dollars (or a grand depending on what all is purchased) on exhaust parts, why start cutting corners now?

Just my opinion on the matter....
Old 02-20-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tts headers have 1/2" thick flanges, and the stock gm gasket on the passenger side is leaking. Maybe the flange isn't truely flat, which wouldn't surprise me considering tts's q control sucks, but I'm having them replaced with the thicker Percy's header gaskets from Speed Inc. I've read mixed reviews on those, but since the GM's are leaking, might as well try something else.

I say change them for piece of mind.

Gary
Old 02-22-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock gaskets are meant to be re-usable, and get re-used all the time without causing leaks. If they are in good condition, which they probably will be, then by all means re-use them.

Quick Reply: Should i reuse my stock metal header gasket?