Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Timing cover fit over Dbl Roller???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Timing cover fit over Dbl Roller???

I'm planning on installing a double roller timing chain with my cam swap, and I'm wondering if the stock timing cover fits back on if you install a double roller and shim the oil pump? Seems like it could be one of those gotchas, so can anybody who installed a double roller timing chain tell me how the cover fit back on afterwards?

THX
Old 02-05-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just installed one, and no, the timing cover did not fit right back on. ! I had to grind some material off the pump with the dremel, I also clearanced the timing cover a little. No biggie, but sorta a PITA!

Just put the cover on and move it around a little (without the gasket). Then, look at the timing cover for scratches. Clearance scratches a little (timing cover is not very thick) then mark the scratches with Sharpie. Line cover back up and move around a little. Find the marks on the oil pump and start grinding (the oil pump is pretty thick). Repeat until no marks show up. Then your gasket will .06 clearance.

Make SURE you cover up your oil pan and timing set, cause you don't want to get that **** in yer motor.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:11 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You should have no problem with the cover fitting
Old 02-05-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why do you say that? Maybe it's year dependent? I see you have an aftermarket cover.

On my 98 there was some def. clearance issues. It may not have hit with the gasket? But I didn't want to take any chances, so I clearanced!
Old 02-05-2006, 06:35 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't answer that. I've installed quite a few in the past with no issues. If you have clearance issues then I suppose you'll have to grind. Sorry if I caused any confusion. I can only tell you what I have experienced.