Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big problem with header install...NEED HELP FAST!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default big problem with header install...NEED HELP FAST!!!

well i just got through putting a set of pacesetters on my buddys 00 z28...we went to the store to get an expansion plug for the egr hole in the intake so he put a rag/shop towel in there...well he forgot about the rag and started the car up and sucked the rag into the intake, etc....it the began to blow piece of the rag out the exhaust and the car was surging and reving itself badly...what should we do?? is anything terribly wrong or could be wrong??? need to get this problem fixed so he can drive his car home and i can get his car out of my shop...please any help AS SOON AS POSSIBLE is greatly appreciated

thanks
bubba
Old 02-11-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

Holy crap, I would not run that car for another second. It's gonna need to be opened up and completely cleaned out

Unless your motor enjoys a steady diet of fiber I don't think it's good to have towel shreds in your oil. It doesn't lubricate very well and it may get some indigestion
Old 02-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Launching!

1)take a flashlight and check inside the intake for any parts of the rag. 2)take the valve covers off to see if any of the valves are stuck open to find out what cylinder the rag went through if none 3) then check the pushrods to see if any bent. best bet might be to pull the heads but maybe as a last resort...
Old 02-11-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Regular

well there is shreds of rag in the intake and it was shooting them out the exhaust....doesnt look like this is gonna turn out good....
Old 02-11-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree there is only so many places that it can go..but unfortunatley its better to be safe then sorry.. If its already blowing out the exhaust..that cant be good.. Thats just sucks..Ouch
Old 02-11-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

holy ****, never heard of that before. post some pics. looks like you may be taking things apart, not fun. may give your friend a reason to upgrade things as he is in the motor.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Damn, that sucks. I hope it's not his only mode of transportation. Looks like the heads are going to have to come off.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, didn't think it was possible to suck a towel through the intake and out the exhaust!
Old 02-11-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

well ive talked to several techs and they think it will burn itself up...the towel itself is one of the little red ones that say "usa" on them..lol...but anyways not my buddys only form of transportation but its his baby and hes almost in tears...if it comes down to it well pullthe intake and clean it, intake ports, pull the valve covers and check the pushrods...im trying to stay away from pulling the heads...i seriously dont think that a little shop towel could bend a valve but i could be 100% wrong..thanks for the help so far and keep it coming

thanks
bubba
Old 02-12-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

bump...tryin to see if this has happened to someone before but maybe to embarrassed to post..
Old 02-12-2006, 12:20 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Not me lol
Old 02-12-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by groundpoundinlt1
if it comes down to it well pullthe intake and clean it, intake ports, pull the valve covers and check the pushrods...im trying to stay away from pulling the heads
I would pull everything including the heads, I would never even consider not pulling the intake. Pulling an LS1 intake & valve covers is very simple stuff. It sounds like you are almost willing to bet an entire LS1 on not feeling like pulling an intake.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

again i dont mind pulling the intake at all...even the valve covers...but what i was trying to say is if i can get away from pulling the heads then that would be better...the rag for references is around 5 inches by 5 inches and between what i vacccumed out of the intake and what came out the exhaust, 3/4 of the rag is out...ill pull the intake/valve covers and let you guy know what i find out
Old 02-13-2006, 03:28 AM
Teching In

Wow... When you say pieces of the rag started coming out of the exhaust, are we talking chunks or just fuzzy stuff?
Old 02-13-2006, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wish I could have seen this.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:31 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

When you say rag, are you talking cloth or a paper type rag? If it's paper, then you might be ok once you clean everything, doing a top end cleaner, change the oil multiple times etc. I would certainly do some type of diagnostic test once you finish, specifically a compression test as well as a leak down test. That will tell you if the rings were harmed at all or if it was just top end that got effected.

But if it's a cloth type rag, then you may be up a creek. You can probably imagine that intake / exhaust valves weren't designed to be shreaders.

Good luck and post a follow up of how you make out.