Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 03:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header question

I was looking into getting a set of headders and a y pipe for my 2001 SS, I want to keep the cats and O2's so I was looking at the SLP LT headders and the MAC mid length headders. Id prefer LT's for the preformance gain but ground clearance is an issue because my car is pretty low. I read that the SLP headders hang low but the cats on the MAC system look like they would be pretty low too. Does anyone know how much lower the SLP and MAC systems are compared to the stock system.

Jay
Old 02-13-2006, 04:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

SLP headers are basically (for want of another word) a rip off.

They are not the best designed and don't make the most power and they do hang low, far too low. IMO aviod them.

Mac mids are ok, but due to the physics of how headers operate they will work best on higher revving engines.

Lt's will generally make the most power, and will certainly make the most under the curve torque. In short LT's are what you want!

Pacesetter make some good coated headers and if you get them from TSP (Texas Speed & Performance) they do a deal price with their own catted Y pipe.

Hooker, Jet Hot, Edlebrock, QTP, Kooks and Stainless Works to name a few also make very good headers at various different prices. Most can be had with a catted Y pipe (but you'll need to check).

If it where me I'd go for the TSP deal on the Pacesetters, they are proven to be a good fit and performance and good quality for the money. The TSP Y pipe uses Carsound cats (which are pretty good) and the Y is a 3" setup. For the price there really isn't much that can compete if you want CATS.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:21 AM
Teching In

Ok if I go with the pacesetter headers and the TSP cated Y pipe how low will that hang compared to stock? The price is a lot cheaper and id prefer LT headers anyway.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:25 AM
TECH Addict

should have no real issues.

The headers won't hang any lower than stock. Any 3" Y pipe will hang lower a bit lower though, but if it's fitted correctly it shouldn't be an issue.

Some people do have problems with the Y pipe hitting the floor boards, this is due to the engine torquing and moving when you apply the gas pedal.

Poly engine/tranny mounts will solve this and mufflex offer a hanger also. However not everyone has this problem so probably install them first and see.

Oh if you are having real clearance issues then you have lowered your car too much. They really don't need to be lowered, maybe 1/3 to 3/4" at most but that's about it, unless it's a styling thing...... but that's just personal opinion then.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

My car is lowered nearly 2" with the Eibach Sportline/Strano Bilstien combo. I currently have Hooker LTs on there with no issues, but the car isn't a daily-driver. If I was going to daily-drive it, I would have left my MACs on there. PM me if you want more info on the MACs as I get tired of repeating it in every post...
Old 02-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Teching In

I was looking at the TSP cated Y pipe, it doesent look like it has the rear O2's. Does it use them or will I need to get O2 sims?
Old 02-13-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

You'll need o2 sims or tuning to delete the codes. This is common with 'most' LT's and mid pipes.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just installed my pacesetters saturday and everything fit perfect. You couldnt ask for a better setup. Install is really easy and only took me and my father 4 hours.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh, I didn't get cats but my ground clearence actually improved over my Mac ORY-pipe for stock manifolds. Good Luck!
Old 02-13-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

get QTP's. Best in the business, will last for damn near forever, and are only 700
Old 02-14-2006, 01:29 AM
Teching In

How much louder is the LS1 with no cats? Is it real loud or not to bad. I know different mufflers are gonna make a difference but I have a flowmaster muffler and its not to loud with the stock maniflods and cats, but I wonder if its gonna be alot louder with out the cats.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will definately be louder with longtubes. If you are doing LT's you should ditch the plugmaster anyway's to maxamize your gains. If you are concerned about it being too loud, you could use another high flowing, yet quieter muffler like the SLP DD or hooker.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:48 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xjayx
How much louder is the LS1 with no cats? Is it real loud or not to bad. I know different mufflers are gonna make a difference but I have a flowmaster muffler and its not to loud with the stock maniflods and cats, but I wonder if its gonna be alot louder with out the cats.
It will sound more like *** than pleasing loud.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Does the pacesetters have holes for the front two o2 sensors
Old 02-14-2006, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, the O2 bungs are already there
Old 02-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Does the tsp cated Y pipe have holes for the secondary O2's? Does any catted Y pipe have the Rear O2 holes?