Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD coil packs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are they really $600 ?????

and cost about $75 a set to make?
Old 02-15-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by M6HuggerSS
are they really $600 ?????

and cost about $75 a set to make?

Makes for a nice profit margin huh? You'd think they'd try and come up with some reasonable prices so people would actually buy them. $600 for a pretty engine bay, I THINK NOT!! $175 for a pretty engine bay, hmmmmmmm maybe?
Old 02-15-2006, 03:38 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would save your money.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought a set online for less than $470.00. i havent had a chance to install them yet, my reason's for buying are my idle hovers,and ive used there products before with good results. right now my plans for this car car is to keep it mostly stock. if you want to say there a waste of money, than compare usage to other things like nitrous, and im not saying thats a waste of money but as far as usage goes, you will be using the coils constant, nitrous? if the coils get me a little better perf and gas mileage, than there worth it to me. this is just my opinion.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jam01
i bought a set online for less than $470.00. i havent had a chance to install them yet, my reason's for buying are my idle hovers,and ive used there products before with good results. right now my plans for this car car is to keep it mostly stock. if you want to say there a waste of money, than compare usage to other things like nitrous, and im not saying thats a waste of money but as far as usage goes, you will be using the coils constant, nitrous? if the coils get me a little better perf and gas mileage, than there worth it to me. this is just my opinion.

It must be the jersey air...it just makes us want to "waste" money.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jam01
that's comparing apples to oranges....
Old 03-02-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Then you are exactly the person who they were made for!

I would NEVER invest in them. TONS of people have reported that the truck coils have a stronger spark, wonder why nobody spends a few bux and upgrades to those? Maby because the stockers kick ***?
A lot of the high HP forced induction guys are running the truck coils because they were having problems with the stock f/y body coils not delivering enough spark.

I doubt Casper was using stock f-body coils, I am sure that they were using at least the truck coils.

Also, I heard that the BS3 guys were supposed to be coming out with a coil sometime in the future.

Truth be told though, if you are not pushing big boost then they probably aren't worth the investment...save your $$$.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

so you think a boosted car could benifit from the coils?
Old 03-12-2006, 04:38 PM
Launching!

I just put a set on a 2000 ss head cam car. Look good, but one of the coils is bad, as soon as the car heats up. The pack pukes and shuts down. Put the stock one on and the car runs fine. 7 out of 8 working for that kind of money, wtf. Will see how there customer service is on Monday.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:15 PM
wrencher

Well the reality is the stock ignition system is a real good design.
W/ all the independant coils they have a nice long sturation time between firing events to provide a strong spark.
The MSD's have advantages, the multi spark discharge @ low speed is a nice feature. But these motors shine at the upper RPM's. I'd have to see more info & dyno compairo's to make up my mind.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:21 AM
Teching In

i think theyre crap i put them on my car and one failed in less than a week spend your money somewhere else
Old 03-14-2006, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even less than $470.00 (jam01) is still quite a bit of cash to spend on something that really doesnt make that big of improvement. I would save the cash for gears, stall converter, nitrous or give it to your local church and pray for a faster car and a hotter chic!! Can I get an AMEN from my brothers!!!
Old 03-14-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Amennn
Old 03-14-2006, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

If these could be combined with a direct injection system that could handle multiple injections within the same cycle, and the spark system was also multispark, then you could build a system that would be more powerful, quieter and smoother than you'd normally be able to build.....think of it as 600 crank hp that'd be as refined as something with less than 400 hp. The other idea is that you'd be able to increase hp with increasing peak cylinder pressure, thus getting more hp out than you'd normally be able to get out of your bottom end.

Anyway, we don't have direct injection, so it's really not worth it IMO....yet.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

How much would a set of truck coils cost? Do i have to go to a dealer to get them?
Old 03-17-2006, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

How much does it cost to rent a truck at Home Depot or Lowes....
Old 03-18-2006, 09:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by smitty69
i think theyre crap i put them on my car and one failed in less than a week spend your money somewhere else
Damn so I was not the only one, they replaced my bad one. I hope this is not going to be a common occurance
Old 03-18-2006, 05:59 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi

I put a set on my car and I am realy happy with them. I had them for about 4 month with no failures yet. I will keep my fingers crossed.

smoother idle
less vibration at all speeds
better throttle response

I agree though, if you are doing bolt-ons and you have not yet done headers, or lid, or gears, or stall, or LS6 intake, then do them first. Especially if you are only interested in ETs.

ps. the main reason I posted was that I am bored today and wanted to start a rant/rave session from everyone. There is so much negativity about this product and I can't realy understand why. I assume MSD is feeling pretty shitty about bring this product out. It appears to be tarnishing their reputation.

JA
Attached Thumbnails MSD coil packs?-dscn0904xxx.jpg  
Old 03-18-2006, 08:13 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

I run truck coils, trays, and MSD truck wires, and will run the same stuff when I shoot for 1000rwhp with a turbo.

I'm not a big fan of the MSD coil packs because the stock stuff is fantastic.

Truck coils (Melco ones) are a hotter than the car coils.

Try valvegod@aol.com, he was selling them for $150.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JGA
Hi

I put a set on my car and I am realy happy with them. I had them for about 4 month with no failures yet. I will keep my fingers crossed.

smoother idle
less vibration at all speeds
better throttle response

I agree though, if you are doing bolt-ons and you have not yet done headers, or lid, or gears, or stall, or LS6 intake, then do them first. Especially if you are only interested in ETs.

ps. the main reason I posted was that I am bored today and wanted to start a rant/rave session from everyone. There is so much negativity about this product and I can't realy understand why. I assume MSD is feeling pretty shitty about bring this product out. It appears to be tarnishing their reputation.

JA

I think the reason is because most people are paying between $500-$600, for what amounts to not much more than red coil packs and a mild placebo effect lol........

Quick Reply: MSD coil packs?