Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WIX air filters...anyone know anything about them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WIX air filters...anyone know anything about them?

Hey everyone, looking for a new air filter to replace my K&N panel filter and I noticed Amsoil sells WIX air filters. It doesnt say what they are made of (im guessing its a paper filter) but does anyone have any experience with these filters? Id go with one of their new foam filters but im using the Suncoast Creations ram air system and need a 92-96 lt1 filter. Any info or suggestions would be great! Thanks!
Old 02-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will never use another filter WIX is the $hit. NASCAR does in fact use them because they filter far more crap than anything else available, If its good enough for a $40,000+
race engine then its good enough for my car. I have met a few reps from wix/dana corp and have toured their factory it is amazing how many tests they do before marketing their products. well enough of me rambling...... its just my opinion
Old 02-17-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Haha no problem ramble on, the more info the better, now I have another question, are the wix filters paper filters? I have a k&n now but ive done the filter charging on it three times now and its getting to be a pain so id rather just go paper for like 10K miles and throw it away so are the wix filters paper? Thanks and any more info would be great!
Old 02-17-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't buy the argument "If its good enough for a race engine then its good enough for my car". Sales and marketing reps will want you to believe this, but it's not reality. If you fall for this hype (I'm not knocking Wix), consider the differences in our engines and Nascar engines. A few problems with this line of thought is that we don't maintain our engines the same, we use our cars differently, and we have different expectations for our cars/engines in terms of longevity, performance, and reliability.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

The direct replacement filter is made with a paper media. As far as the oil filters go, the first line filter is one of the best filters you can buy. Napa Gold is the exact same filter, also car quest is the same as a Wix first line filter. Stay far far away from Fram, trust me they are junk. They use a cardboard end cap and there bypass valve sux. If you buy any oil fiter only buy a first line filter of any brand except the above. Not to say that a second or third line filter want perform, but the differences include can thickness and pleats per inch, as well as the bypass system is different are the main ones. The reason why I know this I work here at Wix as a ME. We have and are constintly testing our filter against the others. I guess the bottom line is a Wix filter will perform as goos if not better than any leading brand you can buy. Well this is just breif insight to the filters because it's time for me to go home for the weekend, but if you have any questions just pm me and I will try to answer it for you. See you guys Monday!
Old 02-17-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by snkchrmr
The direct replacement filter is made with a paper media. As far as the oil filters go, the first line filter is one of the best filters you can buy. Napa Gold is the exact same filter, also car quest is the same as a Wix first line filter. Stay far far away from Fram, trust me they are junk. They use a cardboard end cap and there bypass valve sux. If you buy any oil fiter only buy a first line filter of any brand except the above. Not to say that a second or third line filter want perform, but the differences include can thickness and pleats per inch, as well as the bypass system is different are the main ones. The reason why I know this I work here at Wix as a ME. We have and are constintly testing our filter against the others. I guess the bottom line is a Wix filter will perform as goos if not better than any leading brand you can buy. Well this is just breif insight to the filters because it's time for me to go home for the weekend, but if you have any questions just pm me and I will try to answer it for you. See you guys Monday!

LOL! AIR filter, not OIL filter. I'd put a fram air filter on my car, but not a fram oil filter!
Old 02-21-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
LOL! AIR filter, not OIL filter. I'd put a fram air filter on my car, but not a fram oil filter!
Haha yea I hear ya man, seems everyone is getting confused on which filter im looking at. All I wanna know is if the WIX Air Filter is good and what kind of material it is made out of, thats all
Old 02-21-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Haha yea I hear ya man, seems everyone is getting confused on which filter im looking at. All I wanna know is if the WIX Air Filter is good and what kind of material it is made out of, thats all

The Wix is one of the better flowing paper filters. All the paper filters are pretty close as far as flow is concerned. I believe it was jimmyblue that did a write up on pressure gradients across the paper filters. I was using the Fram, and visually compared it to the AC Delco. I chose the AC Delco, becuase the paper filter part is the same, but has bigger gaps between the aluminum cross hatching and "looked" like it would flow a little better. In reality I'm sure there is no "significant" difference between any of the paper filters.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Wix filters are a good quality filter,both oil & air.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Nice thanks guys, now where is the best place to get them? Any parts stores like autozone or napa carry them or do I have to order them online?
Old 02-22-2006, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

I wonder if the NAPA brand air filters are actually WIX if the oil filters are??? If not, I know Carquest carries the WIX line.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:53 PM

They have a great reputation in oil filters. I don't see why their air filter would be of any lesser quality. I would use it on my car.

Quick Reply: WIX air filters...anyone know anything about them?