Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: what's your choice will be ?
True Duals
65.11%
ORY & Catback
34.89%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

poll: true duals VS Ypipe & cat-back?.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is this your daily driver? Stick with the ORP but if not definitely go with the duals.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greatwhitess
Is this your daily driver? Stick with the ORP but if not definitely go with the duals.
Why do you say that?
Old 02-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Duals can definately be driven on everyday. I drove on dumped ones for 17,000 miles in one year. I loved them honestly. We make them go out the back now, but I didnt mind them dumped.
-Mike
Old 02-20-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it wasn't the drone of the duals on the highway that made me switch. It was the fumes at idle when in traffic. I couldn't go anywhere w/o smelling like straight gasoline. I drove my duals for a year and a half ... (half over the axle, and half dumped) ... and I just got sick of the noise. It was badass to be loud at first ... but eventually, on a daily driver ... the noise gets old.

The drone can partly be fixed by an H pipe (vs. X pipe) and quieter mufflers ... The fumes can really only be fixed by putting cats in, which would partly take away the badass sound of the duals. I had mine run over the axle to begin with ... and the fumes weren't as bad. But IMHO, w/ my over the axle setup ... my car sounded good, but I'm pretty sure that the sound could have been duplicated w/ a ORP and catback.

Last edited by FstBlkz28; 02-20-2006 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree dumped duals will get old very fast if you spend alot of time driving your car.

A 3" ORY with a Flowmaster Merge Collector will go head to head with an ORX dual setup any day in power under the curve.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
I agree dumped duals will get old very fast if you spend alot of time driving your car.

A 3" ORY with a Flowmaster Merge Collector will go head to head with an ORX dual setup any day in power under the curve.
I disagree on both counts.

I've been driving my Z, daily driver and only vehicle, with dumped duals for almost three years. Two of those years with a high stall converter, one with a big cam. Still makes me smile every time I drive it. Hell, every time I start it.

I'd like to see the basis for your claim that a y-pipe will make just as much under the curve. I have read/seen several comparisons that show improved power under the curve with duals.

I will agree that you can go plenty fast with a Y-pipe.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

here is a more recent vid of mine, I have also posted this in multimedia exchange, I had the borla with LT's and ORY, sounded like absolute A$$, this is 110% better, 2.5 under axel with race paks

Click here to watch cold-day
Old 02-20-2006, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GuesDog
here is a more recent vid of mine, I have also posted this in multimedia exchange, I had the borla with LT's and ORY, sounded like absolute A$$, this is 110% better, 2.5 under axel with race paks

Click here to watch cold-day

hell yehh!! what mods do you have ?

u scared the **** out of me loool!!!
Old 02-20-2006, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

tr224, td'sout the back 2.5 with x pipe, moser with 4.10's,

I scared you? nice, the girl about fell into the back seat rolling into 3rd. LOL
Old 02-20-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd like to see the basis for your claim that a y-pipe will make just as much under the curve. I have read/seen several comparisons that show improved power under the curve with duals.
I talked with Mikey @ Rapid about this a few years back and he told me this. He wasn't running duals on his 427 WS6 just a Y with a good merge collector and was making the same power. I agree TD's with an ORX will beat out your average Y pipe setup that have the two pipes just welded together. A good ORY for ex.. the QTP Y's have the merge. A 4"-3" Flowmaster merge on the end of a 3" ORY will scavenge almost as well as an ORX and power curves will overlay each other.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:43 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Duals are tons of fun but get old. Good Y-pipe designs (read: Flowmaster scavenger merge collector) give you your clearance back, flow awesome and make BIG power.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have never smelled of gas after driving and I have dumped duals and a good sized cam.Get duals and be done with it.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AaronR
I have never smelled of gas after driving and I have dumped duals and a good sized cam.Get duals and be done with it.
In stop an go traffic?
Old 02-21-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
I disagree on both counts.

I've been driving my Z, daily driver and only vehicle, with dumped duals for almost three years. Two of those years with a high stall converter, one with a big cam. Still makes me smile every time I drive it. Hell, every time I start it.

I will agree that you can go plenty fast with a Y-pipe.
Sound tolerances will be different for each person ... while I do have friends that live w/ the noise of duals, i've also got just as many friends that have switched back to Ypipe setups b/c the duals were too loud, clearance was too limited, or fumes were getting annoying.

On the basis of power, a well made Ypipe: designed correctly, with a high velocity merge collector (such as a flowmaster merge) will scavenge just as efficiently as an Xpipe setup. The fact that 90% of all prefabbed Ypipes are made by just cutting a hole in a pipe and welding another pipe into it is the reason that duals have had their hay day. And yes, compared to the average ORP out on the market, duals will produce more power both under the curve and at the peak. But when comparing a well made Ypipe to a well made Xpipe ... all other things being held equal - The power will not vary much at all.

So in the end it all comes down to sound ... which we all agree the duals sound better than a Ypipe setup; just alittle loud for some people's daily drivers.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:07 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by BrianC98Z28
I personally think duals are overated. As many people that get them, you will see an equal amount who have gone back to y pipe setups because they get tired of drone and ground clearance. a good 3in o/r ypipe w. flowmaster merge and a good catback will make more than enough power.
Have you ever seen someone with a NICE TD setup go back to a y-pipe? 90% of the time it's people with lowered cars, and crappy duals. You can have duals run out the back no problem if you get tired of the interior noise, but most people cop out and go with a y-pipe setup. You can make ANYTHING work if you put enough time into it. My TSP's used to have **** clearance, untill i got under there one day and jacked around with a purpose, and a hammer.

Gas smell/fumes never got to me either. Dumped 3" duals with no cats for 1 year. Ran with the cam for about a month before i had the cats and stuff installed, and never had a problem either.

I have $820 bux in my setup from the headers back, not including the headers themselves. For that much dough i have 3" duals, 3" high-flow cats, 3" x-pipe, 3" bullets, pipes run out the back (removable with flanges), and polished double wall stainless magnaflow tips, INSTALLED. Go check the price on a GMMG, oh yeah don't forget the y-pipe

The BOTTOM LINE is get what you want to get, and if you become unhappy, get somthing else. This argument is EXACTLY the same as "what cam should i get?". Driveability and comfort are all RELATIVE issues. Some people wouldn't think of having a 230+ camshaft in a 346" motor, but i'm tired of my F14 already and want a 240+! Some people like a little drone to let them know they're alive, while some people want silence like driving a souped up Lincoln.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
The BOTTOM LINE is get what you want to get, and if you become unhappy, get somthing else. This argument is EXACTLY the same as "what cam should i get?". Driveability and comfort are all RELATIVE issues. Some people wouldn't think of having a 230+ camshaft in a 346" motor, but i'm tired of my F14 already and want a 240+! Some people like a little drone to let them know they're alive, while some people want silence like driving a souped up Lincoln.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:41 AM
11 Second Club

I currently have a dynomax bullet welded onto my 3" ory and have hooker long tubes turned out before the axle. Anybody ever experienced one of those?
Mine sounds so much like crap that I bought a TSP true dual system and I am going to put it on this weekend. I plan on running the 3 bolt flanged idea out the back (below the axle) because the drone of my current setup makes it miserable for highway cruising. I hope this gives me the performance/sound and tolerable noise level I am looking for.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:19 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by one2run
I currently have a dynomax bullet welded onto my 3" ory and have hooker long tubes turned out before the axle. Anybody ever experienced one of those?
Mine sounds so much like crap that I bought a TSP true dual system and I am going to put it on this weekend. I plan on running the 3 bolt flanged idea out the back (below the axle) because the drone of my current setup makes it miserable for highway cruising. I hope this gives me the performance/sound and tolerable noise level I am looking for.
Check out the link in my sig if you have not done so already, this is what i went with.

When you are installing the system, flip the fuel line brackets by the tranny tunnel for more clearance, then replace the fuel lines in them for a nice 1" or so boost in clearance. Be prepared to beat a few things with a hammer and also be prepared to spend a few hours tweaking things. Put a jack under the DUMPS and jack them up as high as freaking possible. You might want to flatten the pipe some after it leaves the driverside header and goes under the body support brace thing so you don't have any banging.

I got my bullets running parallel to the ground after enough tweaking, and actually running INSIDE the tranny tunnel a bit between the seats. I had to dent the driverside bullet a bit to make it work though.

There are some pics that thread of how the system was riding before i had the cats/extensions put in to help show you what is possible with enough time. Keep in mind that my car is lowered about 1" in the rear as well.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:18 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

I smelled like a NASCAR gas man every day, when I got to work, with duals dumped.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
I smelled like a NASCAR gas man every day, when I got to work, with duals dumped.
I still don't see this. Car in the UK didn't have cats until 1993. Most of the cars I've owned have not had cats and there's never been an issue with petrol smell.

My TR7 does not have cats, yet is a V8 with a cam, heads, LT's and competition spec exhaust (as per the rally cars), with upgraded fuel system (pump/lines) and a large 4brl carb. It does not smell any more of petrol than my STOCK Z28 does with cats.

Quick Reply: poll: true duals VS Ypipe & cat-back?.....