Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Pressure switch / Fuel Level gauge problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 08:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Pressure switch / Fuel Level gauge problems

OK, My A/C started blowing warm last week so I took it upon myself to recharge the system last night. I was told that I needed to bleed the air out of the system (was coming out warm and did not smell like there was any 134 left). So, I slowly bled the air out as far as I could until the compressor turned off. Here is where the problems started.

I was told that I needed to jumper two of the terminals on the A/C pressure switch to get the compressor to turn back on. When I did - the car just immediatly stalled!! (Now remember - the compressor was turning fine before - so I don't think that it's locked up or anything).

I gave up after about 15 minutes of looking for a way to jumper the compressor power, BUT I got in the car this morning, and I now have an SES light and my GAS GAUGE IS NOT WORKING.

Man, if it's not one thing it's another. Is there any common wiring between the pressure switch and the Fuel level gauge? I checked the relay for the A/C compressor and it seems fine, and I couldn't find any fuses for the pressure switch.

Any ideas? I don't have access to autotap in the next few days....

<small>[ April 23, 2002, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: CopMagnetLs1 ]</small>
Old 04-23-2002, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: A/C Pressure switch / Fuel Level gauge problems

Hope you didn't cook something!
Old 06-21-2002, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Where is the low pressure switch? I see the high pressure switch on the skinny line with 3 wires right?
Old 06-21-2002, 09:28 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

CopMagnetLS1 (love that name)
You can't just "bleed air" out of the AC. If there has been a bad leak or the system has been breached you need to vacuum the system, then recharge with freon. I -believe- it takes 1.5 lbs (On the Z28 there is a sticker on the stock air lid). Once the pressure comes up enough the compressor should run. Not sure what's up with the fuel gauge.
Another thing that can occur even with a fully charged system is sometimes the expansion (or orifice) valve gets clogged, effectively shutting down the system. That's when a set of gauges are handy. If you overcharge the system, the high pressure side will be, well, too high pressure and can FUBAR the compressor.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like you may have burnt something by jumping wires... GWJ is right. You need to pull a vacuum on the system to "evacuate" it. You will need to bring that vacuum down to 30 inches of vacuum. Then turn off the vac. pump and hold the vacuum for about 30 minutes, noting any change in vacuum. If it drops more than 2 or 3Hg, then you may have yourself a leak. Usually you can check all the connections of the A/C and if you see dirt around it, you may have found your leak. Ya see, when refrigerant leaks, it takes some of the oil with it, attracting dirt. I just recharged my system the other week, wasnt getting very cold. Its normal to lose a little refrigerant over the years, and luckily it doesnt seem like i have a leak. I charged my system with 1.6lbs.. 1.5 is specified. I did this because, having experience with A/C work, not all of the refrigerant gets into the system, some stays in the lines of the machine or gets released when unhooking it. My A/C works great.

Back to the topic.. check your fuses and any surrounding wiring where you "jumped" the terminals.. you may have toasted a wire.