Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ASP Pulley has slight wobble.. this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New ASP Pulley has slight wobble.. this normal?

I just installed 2 ASP Pullies this weekend. One on my 02 SS and one on my friends 01 SS.

After both installs, when we cranked up the engine, it looks like there is a slight wobble in the pulley. When looking at the ASP pulley there are like 2 pieces, the inner polished metal piece is smooth and when the car is running its prefectly smooth, but the outer rim of the pulley which is sealed to the inner piece by like some thick black silicon, has a slight wobble. Its not a bad wobble, its almost not noticable by the eye. Both cars with brand new pulleys have this.

Is this a common thing the way the pullies are made with that black sealant holding the inner and outer pieces together?

BTW: We followed the instructions exactly. We used the old pulley bolt to tighten the pulley onto the crank, then replaced it with the new bolt and torqued to specs.

I'm not worried about the outer ring wobble, because the inner ring which is attached to the crank is smooth as silk. I did like a dozen ATAP runs this weekend and got "0" knock retard the entire time. The Car is running great. The only thing I could see happening is the accessory belt maybe getting worn out faster then normal.

Has anyone else with a ASP pulley come accross this? Is this normal?

Lee
Old 06-03-2002, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New ASP Pulley has slight wobble.. this normal?

Send them back and tell them to reballance them.If they say its normal get rid of them.That wobble will cause harmonic whip and wear out your bottom end quicker.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Default New ASP Pulley has slight wobble.. this normal?

I have a slight wobble on my ASP pulley as well. I contacted ASP and they told me to ship it back to them and they will test it. The pulley didn't wobble when I first installed it. I noticed it had a wobble when the belts started to make some noise, and there is some slight wear on the edge of the main belt. I will have to install the factory pulley while I ship the ASP pulley off to get tested.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Put you a 650 ft/lb impact gun on that bolt and see if it turns any.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Put you a 650 ft/lb impact gun on that bolt and see if it turns any.
I don't think it's the bolt not being tight enough, but I can try upgrading my impact gun. I'm going to send my pulley back and have them test it. I also purchased a new crank pulley bolt from the dealer to see if that makes a difference.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Send them back.My Asp failed 100% after install in 3 weeks and let go mid turn at an intersection..almost had an accident since I lost power steering at the end of the turn. The inner seperated from the outer and I could easily pull on the belt and manually spin my accessory drives.I got mine from TSP who sent me a powerbond which is around the same price and its been trouble free.There were a few threads on people that had a failed Asp pulley.I like the thicker lip of the powerbond that helps prevent belt slip.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Redbull87
Send them back.My Asp failed 100% after install in 3 weeks and let go mid turn at an intersection..almost had an accident since I lost power steering at the end of the turn. The inner seperated from the outer and I could easily pull on the belt and manually spin my accessory drives.I got mine from TSP who sent me a powerbond which is around the same price and its been trouble free.There were a few threads on people that had a failed Asp pulley.I like the thicker lip of the powerbond that helps prevent belt slip.
I think I did notice some rubber shavings in between the inner and outer pulley, but I thought it was from the belt. I will definitely install my factory pulley while I send the ASP pulley back.

Quick Reply: New ASP Pulley has slight wobble.. this normal?